    Win 7 or linux, I have never shut down ticked and shut down monitor after
    30 minutes so I may be missing something in the Gateway end.

    GK

    GrailKing, Oct 2, 2010

  2. GrailKing

    Mike Easter Guest

    I understand this part above so far.
    I understand this concept, except that while you are 'd/ling from
    usenet, you are currently logged in.
    Why would you have to login? With inactivity, a screensaver might kick
    in. With inactivity, the powersaving features might turn off the monitor
    or even the harddrive.
    The computer BIOS setup has powersaving settings and the operating
    systems have power saving settngs.

    You need to familiarize yourself with both of those.

    Mike Easter, Oct 2, 2010

  3. GrailKing

    GrailKing Guest

    Yes, I do have to log in on the screen saver in Ubuntu, can't remember if
    I set up a screen saver in win7; doesn't close windows on my 10" laptop
    running Ubuntu and I have the same settings as the desk top only
    difference is the laptop is an ASUS-EEEpc everything else mirrors the
    desktop pretty much.

    GrailKing, Oct 2, 2010
  4. GrailKing

    GrailKing Guest

    I did mean log in to the screen saver, not the whole computer, I'll see
    what gateway has for settings, I do miss a actual written manual the on
    line or cd version really doesn't cut it for me.

    GrailKing, Oct 2, 2010
  5. GrailKing

    Jaypie Guest

    May I suggest that you will not use the screen saver...

    I had the same problem on Win 7 here. I disabled the screen saver
    and it doesn't shut down any more.

    Jaypie, Oct 2, 2010
  6. GrailKing

    ian field Guest

    If it was LCD would it actually need a screensaver?

    From what I've heard its an absolute must with plasma, in my opinion (most)
    screensavers do more harm than good on CRT monitors.

    ian field, Oct 2, 2010
  7. GrailKing

    Meat Plow Guest

    I think Win 7 installs with a default screen saver. Plasma is subject to
    image burn because the same phosphors are used as a CRT.

    Meat Plow, Oct 3, 2010
  8. GrailKing

    ian field Guest

    That's how I understood it to be.

    As far as CRT monitors are concerned, screen savers reduce beam current to
    an absolute minimum - I'm not sure of the exact mechanism but the end result
    is poisoned cathodes.

    If its not allowed to deteriorate too far it can be revived by leaving it
    running overnight with a bright white blank screen.

    The best screen saver I've ever seen was incorporated in an old version of
    AVG (installed from floppies) it "dissolves" the contrast so there's no
    sharp image on the screen to burn the phosphor, but keeps the total beam
    current at its normal value to keep the cathodes clean.

    ian field, Oct 3, 2010
  9. GrailKing

    Meat Plow Guest

    I always advised customers to turn their CRT monitors off if they must
    leave their workstation run. I've never rejuved a monitor cathode but
    have done a lot of TV CRTs as a last ditch effort to stoke the fire just
    one last time before a replacement became necessary.

    Meat Plow, Oct 3, 2010