All USB Ports have Selectively Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pirate727, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. Pirate727

    Pirate727 Guest

    Ok, I know that this topic has come up a lot. But unfortunately, none
    of the previous solutions are applicable here. No loose cords, no
    driver issues. Just spookey.

    Here's the deal: (Please read all)

    My USB ports on the front of my computer:
    - They stopped working (I get the device failed error anytime I plug
    something in)
    - They were just working yesterday
    - Nothing has changed

    My USB ports on the back of the computer
    - Currently has a printer and a mouse plugged in
    - When I unplug one of the above, and plug in something else, I get the
    same error (device failed)
    - When I plug the original device (printer or mouse) back in, they work
    fine.

    What is going on here? MY access to those ports is mission-critical
    and I'm down for the count today unless I can get this fixed.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Ken

    Pirate727, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Pirate727

    beenthere Guest

    You don`t say what Mboard, but it happens.
    http://interactive.pcw.co.uk/2005/05/dead_usb_ports_.html

    The only solution I can think of, is to rush and get a PCI\USB
    card, if you`ve got a spare slot to put it in.
    HTH

    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Nov 20, 2006

  3. Pirate727

    Pirate727 Guest

    Wow.

    And I have an Asus. Thank you for this, it has saved me a buttload of
    time. I'm going to try a couple more things and then call the people
    who built this piece of crap.

    So, it looks like I'm going to be switching out machines today as I try
    to get back to work. This sucks worse than I had when my power supply
    went bad on my Dell. The proprietary power supply. I'm switching back
    to my non-stop Sony Viao destop. That thing has been a great machine
    and I bet will take me through another 10 years.

    Thanks for your help.

    Pirate727, Nov 20, 2006
  4. Pirate727

    beenthere Guest

    Glad to have helped, the board was a guess <g>.
    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Nov 20, 2006