"All Programs" Listing: Getting a Shortcut To Show In ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Running XP.

    I download a new program, and have the shortcut on my desktop.
    Works fine.

    I would like it to also show up when I go to the START Button, and then ALL
    Programs.
    it doesn't.

    I tried dragging the shortcut icon to the START button, but it still doesn't
    show.

    Probably dragging it wrong.
    Not too sharp with this.
    Should I be dragging it with the left mouse button, or... ?

    Might one possibility why it doesn't show in the All Programs listings, is
    that my listing there is very full, and takes most of the page ? If so, any
    way of having more programs show ?

    Thank you,
    B.

    Robert11, Feb 5, 2006

  2. In M$ WinXP you have various accounts: C:\Documents and Settings\[All
    Users][Current User (Your screen name)][Default User][etc.]

    Decide which account you want the shortcut/Start Menu item to appear on:
    e.g., \All Users

    Open (double-click) \All Users\Start Menu\Programs

    There's your categories. You can copy and/or cut & paste the shortcut right
    there, or in any category you like, then close the Explorer window, and
    navigate the Start Menu to where you put it: and then be very amazed.

    Actually, you can drag & drop the shortcut, but it will likely show up in
    the [Current User's] account rather than [All Users] or if you're not
    running in root, the account you're running in. Also, sometimes you have
    to drag the shortcut to the appropriate place on the Start Menu, rather
    than to the button, by holding your postition just a moment and then drag a
    little further until you're ready to drop. I have all XP boxes, but some
    definately have little idiosyncricies with thier individual installations
    of Windows Explorer.

    HTH.

    Happy Game Day USA!

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Robert11

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Press a Windows key to bring up the Start Menu
    Right click and drag the item to a place in All Programs on the Start
    Menu. Release, select Copy or Move depending on what you want.
    Actually, wonder if you are using Windows "smart" Start Menu or
    Classic Start Menu? Right click the Start button and select
    properties. Personally I find the "smart" version a pain - it has a
    mind of its own and is largely uncontrollable. Unsuitable if you have
    many programs installed.

    Classic enables you to have many program shortcuts (or folders) coming
    off the Start button itself, as well as a lot more off the Programs
    folder (column to the right).
    You can organise programs into groups e.g. in the Programs, Graphics
    folder I have 9 subfolders corresponding to 9 different graphics
    programs.
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Feb 20, 2006