All files in all HDD subfolders suddenly disappear

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dennis Q. Wilson, Jul 30, 2005.

  1. My PC has two 149-GB hard disks. The first is partitioned into a Drive
    "C" and Drive "D;" the second is designated Drive "E." It contains no
    program files or operating-system files; it's used for data storage
    only. Including the Recycle Bin, the root directory of Drive "E" has
    seven subdirectories, six of which are usually empty. The seventh
    contains/contained 114 GB of multimedia files I've been editing.

    Last night I was watching an MPG file on Drive "E" (while converting
    another to XviD with Auto Gordian Knot) when Media Player Classic
    suddenly stopped in the middle. I exited Media Player Classic to find
    that Auto Gordian Knot had stopped too. So I exited that too and
    opened Explorer to inspect my files.

    They were gone. There had been four subfolders and 42 video files in
    there, plus more files in the subfolders, and now "E:\Video" was
    totally blank. First I checked the Recycle Bin to make sure I hadn't
    accidentally erased everything: I hadn't. Then I checked free space
    -- Windows was still reporting 114 GB in use on Drive "E," and so was
    Partition Magic, so SOMETHING was occupying that disk space.

    I eliminated the two most obvious possible causes: it isn't a virus
    infection, and my PC is set to display all hidden and system files.
    And not EVERYTHING is missing, strictly speaking. The seven folders in
    the root directory of my Drive "E" are in fact still visible -- just
    nothing that might have been INSIDE them. I'm tempted to try to drop a
    NEW file into that space to see if it disappears too, but I'm afraid
    that might endanger any data that may still be there.

    Norton Disk Doctor reported a "DOS Boot Record" problem on Drive "E"
    but only got halfway through trying to repair it before failing.
    OnTrack Easy Recovery Pro is able to find (and copy to Drive "D") SOME
    of the phantom files, but doesn't suggest how to correct the main
    problem.

    I'm at a total loss to understand what's wrong or what to do next. Did
    the FAT-32 table get scrambled? Is there any way to restore or
    reconstruct it? Does anyone have experience with a problem like this?
    I'm stumped, and humbly asking for help.

    Thanks to anyone who can show me to the light.

    Dennis Q. Wilson, Jul 30, 2005

  2. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Pennywise Guest

    |>My PC has two 149-GB hard disks. The first is partitioned into a Drive
    |>"C" and Drive "D;" the second is designated Drive "E." It contains no
    |>program files or operating-system files; it's used for data storage
    |>only. Including the Recycle Bin, the root directory of Drive "E" has
    |>seven subdirectories, six of which are usually empty. The seventh
    |>contains/contained 114 GB of multimedia files I've been editing.
    |>
    |>Last night I was watching an MPG file on Drive "E" (while converting
    |>another to XviD with Auto Gordian Knot) when Media Player Classic
    |>suddenly stopped in the middle. I exited Media Player Classic to find
    |>that Auto Gordian Knot had stopped too. So I exited that too and
    |>opened Explorer to inspect my files.
    |>
    |>They were gone. There had been four subfolders and 42 video files in
    |>there, plus more files in the subfolders, and now "E:\Video" was
    |>totally blank. First I checked the Recycle Bin to make sure I hadn't
    |>accidentally erased everything: I hadn't. Then I checked free space
    |>-- Windows was still reporting 114 GB in use on Drive "E," and so was
    |>Partition Magic, so SOMETHING was occupying that disk space.
    |>
    |>I eliminated the two most obvious possible causes: it isn't a virus
    |>infection, and my PC is set to display all hidden and system files.
    |>And not EVERYTHING is missing, strictly speaking. The seven folders in
    |>the root directory of my Drive "E" are in fact still visible -- just
    |>nothing that might have been INSIDE them. I'm tempted to try to drop a
    |>NEW file into that space to see if it disappears too, but I'm afraid
    |>that might endanger any data that may still be there.
    |>
    |>Norton Disk Doctor reported a "DOS Boot Record" problem on Drive "E"
    |>but only got halfway through trying to repair it before failing.
    |>OnTrack Easy Recovery Pro is able to find (and copy to Drive "D") SOME
    |>of the phantom files, but doesn't suggest how to correct the main
    |>problem.
    |>
    |>I'm at a total loss to understand what's wrong or what to do next. Did
    |>the FAT-32 table get scrambled? Is there any way to restore or
    |>reconstruct it? Does anyone have experience with a problem like this?
    |>I'm stumped, and humbly asking for help.

    Down load Hiren's BootCD http://tinyurl.com/cup72 , burn the ISO to a
    CD and boot up with it.

    Retrieve all your files with it, then attempt to fix the Fat.

    Pennywise, Jul 30, 2005

  3. You could try downloading "Directory Snoop" and see what it shows. It
    can see deleted files/directories. Also, some reading here:
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22433&goto=nextnewest

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 30, 2005
  4. Looks promising (though I don't want to get my hopes up too high).
    Thanks!

    Dennis Q. Wilson, Jul 30, 2005