    preferably without having to do the whole thing by hand.

    Thanks,
    Aaron Queenan

    Aaron Queenan, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Aaron Queenan

    Don Guest

    Try alt.graphics.photoshop or comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

    Don

    Don, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Aaron Queenan

    Don Guest

    Sorry, my mistake. I see you have already cross-posted :-(

    Don

    Don, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Drag and drop while holding the SHIFT key should align them perfectly.

    Johan W. Elzenga, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Aaron Queenan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Any photo editor that supports layers will do what you want, and
    PhotoShop (and Elements) will do this.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Aaron Queenan

    stewy Guest

    The only thing I can think of would be to copy and paste in different
    layers. Then adjust each layer for optimum. This adjustment should be
    recorded as an 'Action' in Photoshop. Then it will be a simple matter of
    calling up each picture paste and set the Action.

    stewy, Apr 14, 2004
  7. Aaron Queenan

    jjs Guest

    Yes - do what Johan says. Sheesh - it's not rocket science.

    jjs, Apr 14, 2004
  8. Well, that aligns image to center of layer, but does not necessarily
    align one image to the other, if they aren't perfectly aligned to begin
    with in reality (from camera,scanner, whatever originals).

    You can of course reduce opacity of your top layer temporarily to see to
    align but one is still doing it manually.

    Mac

    Mac McDougald, Apr 14, 2004
  9. Not to mention that most of the methods suggested seem to be limited
    to single-pixel resolution (you really want subpixel resolution) and
    all of them seem to ignore the possibility of rotation or warp in
    addition to a shift. A warp could come about from any inconsistency in
    scan rate from frame to frame.

    Stephen H. Westin, Apr 14, 2004
  10. "stewy" {} wrote in message
    }
    } "Aaron Queenan" {} wrote in
    message
    } } } Is there any software (or feature in Photoshop) that will align one
    image
    } } over another image that is almost identical? Ideally it could align a
    } blue
    } } image over the matching part of a red and green image.
    } }
    } } I have some negative film, (accidentally) developed in E6 chemistry.
    The
    } } result is that the red and green channels are very dark compared to the
    } blue
    } } channel.
    } }
    } } I can adjust the gain (really the exposure) in NikonScan to get either
    the
    } } red and green channel OR the blue channel, but nothing I have tried
    } produces
    } } an image with detail in all three channels.
    } }
    } } As a result, I have 108 images with valid red and green channels, and
    108
    } } matching images with a valid blue channel. I need to align them
    properly,
    } } preferably without having to do the whole thing by hand.
    } }
    } The only thing I can think of would be to copy and paste in different
    } layers. Then adjust each layer for optimum. This adjustment should be
    } recorded as an 'Action' in Photoshop. Then it will be a simple matter of
    } calling up each picture paste and set the Action.

    Unfortunately, the x,y ofset for each image is different, because they were
    scanned separately, so I'd really do with a program that aligns them
    automatically.

    Of course, I'd rather not pay too much for it, because it would only take a
    few hours to do the job by hand, after all. *sigh*

    Aaron.

    Aaron Queenan, Apr 14, 2004
  11. "Mac McDougald" {} wrote in message
    } In article {},
    } says...
    } }
    } } "Johan W. Elzenga" {} wrote in message
    } } } } } Aaron Queenan {} wrote:
    } }
    } } } Drag and drop while holding the SHIFT key should align them perfectly.
    } }
    } } Yes - do what Johan says. Sheesh - it's not rocket science.
    }
    } Well, that aligns image to center of layer, but does not necessarily
    } align one image to the other, if they aren't perfectly aligned to begin
    } with in reality (from camera,scanner, whatever originals).

    That is the main problem. The red/green image and the blue image was
    scanned separately for each negative (or strip of 4), so the top left
    coordinate of the images vary.

    At least the images seem to align well, i.e. aren't twisted, sheared,
    warped, etc relative to each other.

    Aaron.

    Aaron Queenan, Apr 14, 2004
  12. Aaron Queenan

    jjs Guest

    Aaron (and all) I apologize for the misinformation. I did not remember that
    you had separate scans to combine.

    (For future references concerning combining images of a single subject which
    has vastly different contrast ranges, you might want to look into HDRC.
    Write if I need to elaborate.)

    jjs, Apr 14, 2004
  13. Aaron Queenan

    Paul H. Guest

    Here's how to do it:

    1) Load the first image into PS
    2) Temporarily increase the canvas size to give yourself moving about room.
    3) Load the overlay image into a new layer
    4) Set the new layer's blend mode to "Difference"
    5) Use the Move Tool, keyboard, and mouse to size, shift, and rotate the
    overlaid image to its best fit.
    6) Set new layer's blending mode and opacity to whatever you need
    7) Flatten and crop the new image

    Voila!

    I've done this to make transparent projections of topographical maps onto
    aerial photos and to combine multiple digital camera exposures.

    Paul H., Apr 14, 2004
  14. Here's the free & 'perfect' solution:

    Use Hugin & Autopano to automatically determine the offset (in yaw,
    pitch & roll) between pairs of images, then generate Photoshop
    multilayer files from the results.

    Hugin will do subpixel alignment & sampling. :)

    Terje

    Terje Mathisen, Apr 14, 2004