    We get around this at one location by using an internal DNS server but for a
    small installation I think it's overkill.

    Thanks

    you know who maybe, Nov 9, 2005

  2. you know who maybe

    Vivek Guest

    alias will work. it will replace 222.222.222.222 with 10.1.1.111 in dns
    packets.

    Vivek, Nov 9, 2005

  3. :Does this really work? How?

    :I've got a webserver with a private IP address like 10.1.1.111 but to the
    :eek:utside works it's 222.222.222.222
    :A client on my LAN of 10.1.1.0/24 gets 222.222.222.222 from a public DNS
    :server which times out when he tries to connect because the server is on
    :10.1.1.111, which is on the internal LAN.

    :We get around this at one location by using an internal DNS server but for a
    :small installation I think it's overkill.

    You could use 'alias' for this, but then you would not be able to use
    PDM. 'alias' is deprecated.

    Instead, on your "static" line that defines the translation between
    inside and outside, add the keyword 'dns'.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Holy cow. I've been asking this question in different ways for a couple
    years on and off and always someone tells me about the alias command, but
    that it breaks PDM. I never put it together that this is what the DNS
    Rewrite features does. I've been looking at that check box in PDM for years
    but never thought about it. Awesome. Thanks again, Walter. Now I have to
    rethink the way we are doing things at the other locations.

    -Bob

    you know who maybe, Nov 9, 2005
  5. you know who maybe

    AM Guest

    Holy cow. I've been asking this question in different ways for a couple
    search for "DNS doctoring" on google.

    Bye Alex.

    AM, Nov 10, 2005