'Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection' and 'Vertigo'

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Prince of Orange, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Vertigo is my favorite film, and although I love the restoration done
    by Robert Harris and James Katz, I am one of the many fans who have
    criticized the intrusive new foley sounds that were recorded for the
    restored version.

    On October 4th, Universal will be releasing 'Alfred Hitchcock- The
    Masterpiece Collection', a 15 disc set that will retail for the
    exceptionally reasonable price of $119.98 (Amazon.com already has it
    available for pre-order for $83.99.)

    This set will correct a great wrong that was committed by featuring an
    anamorphic transfer of Vertigo. Here is the link detailing the specs
    for the set:

    http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=35678

    Note that under the Audio entry for Vertigo, you'll find 2 audio
    streams: 'English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround' and
    'English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono'. My question: is the latter entry
    the audio commentary track, or could it be the original mono
    soundtrack?

    Prince of Orange, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Prince of Orange

    jayembee Guest

    No guarantees, but they generally don't list specs for commentary tracks, so
    the aforementioned mono track is most likely the original soundtrack.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Prince of Orange

    Moo Guest

    <snip>

    The copy of vertigo I have (which is still sealed, haven't got round to
    watching it yet!) already features an anamorphic transfer.

    It is the region 2 version with the black & red cover (very hard to read
    etc!) where you have to search for the special features on the back as they
    can barely be seen! It is labell The Hitchcock Collection.

    The version I have runs at 2hrs 4mins, the version on that website is 2hrs
    10mins but is that just because of the PAL, NTSC differences??

    Moo, Aug 4, 2005