AKAMAI Technologies?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Patrick Sullivan, May 6, 2005.

  1. Patrick Sullivan

    jorgen

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I work in IT. MCSA Server 2003, Comptia Security+ (2009).

    This akamai connection is garbage.
    The only thing I have found that detects it is superantispyware.
    It removes it, but it comes back.
    I also have connections from a yahoo top level domain.

    I have also seen this on a clients network.

    Could really use some help on this.

    It plays radio advertisements.
    Have scanned with AVG Free, Spybot, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyWare.

    Again, SuperAntiSpyWare detects and removes, but just comes back.

    Please, if someone knows anything, send me an email!

    jorgen, Aug 4, 2010

  2. Patrick Sullivan

    answerquest

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Patrick,
    I think your problem was with the ACT of constant internet traffic happening from your computer without your explicit knowledge. Because I've been having the exact same problem.

    Here's the solution: download the free version of NetBalancer
    http://www.seriousbit.com/netbalancer/

    I'm switching to a mobile internet plan in some weeks and it has a monthly bandwidth cap beyond which there's a hefty charge per MB. I'll get seriously screwed if this background internet traffic keeps going on.. Even I had turned off all automatic update downloading and still it continued.

    I sensed an issue when my regular browsing became too slow. So to monitor the network usage I downloaded NetMeter. There I was in for a surprise - SOMETHING from my comp was using the internet full-time, and that too when there was NO update or anything of the sort going on. There was no virus or malware so clearly a legit process was the culprit here.

    I searched for ways to track down which application is using the internet and came across this tool, NetBalancer. After installing (will have to restart the comp once, using win7) I found out that the system process svchost.exe is doing all the quiet downloading, that too at full speed! Suddenly Windows has become the equivalent of my teenage cousin secretly torrenting!

    Using NetBalancer, I'm able to limit the connection speed of individual programs, as well as block them off from the internet entirely! I totally blocked svchost.exe for some time, then saw that NetBalancer's own website and some other sites weren't loading in Firefox (apparently there's some kind of interconnection). So then I kept a 5kb/s limit on it. And now the sites load fine and svchost.exe is no longer doing any constant browsing. Even after closing NetBalancer, nothing's going wrong, and on running it again its got traffic data from the time it was off.

    I recommend using both NetMeter and NetBalancer. Netmeter has a nice graph that stays on top, rests in the taskbar next to antivirus etc and so keeps you in the loop. When you notice something fishy, turn on NetBalancer and catch the culprits!

    answerquest, Mar 18, 2012

  3. Patrick Sullivan

    titi6

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    AKAMAI tech. is a thread

    Oh,I have the same problem,they hack my computer ,i found them and i trace the ip I realize they are hacking me for some secret agent. That must be the FBI or spy from the secret service :)y:).
    very dangerous people. watch on what you do in the internet,they wacth everybody .

    titi6, Jun 23, 2012
  4. Patrick Sullivan

    dinwitty

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    wow, this has been about a long time, I am still on 56k and this is just killing my connection speed.

    I may have just solved it just now but you need your firewall up, and add to your zones.

    I downloaded SmartSniff and watched the connections, and akamai was all over the place..

    I grabbed the IP address and in zonealarm blocked it in the zones, my connection openned up. took several IPs and a range as it keeps changing IP address.

    I havent found what might be on my system that might be calling it, but I'll keep checking.

    dinwitty, Nov 5, 2013
  5. Patrick Sullivan

    mrbanana

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    AKAMAI?!?!

    I restarted my computer and didnt even use internet or anything, but when i check my connections information is being sent to AKAMAI? that is pretty strange. And when i as going to check the ip on ip locationfinder the connection to their ip was closed -.- scumbag company owned by cia or nsa ..

    mrbanana, Nov 21, 2013
  6. Patrick Sullivan

    dinwitty

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    get TCPview (google)

    akamai is a delivery service, TCPview may help isolate onboard PC proggies trying to access. Zonealarm uses it for updates, today's technologies apparently assume we are all on high speed internet so when these proggies access they dont really kill bandwidth, but not true on my measly 56k.

    Its tough tracking whats whom using it and I'm doing a juggling dance getting things to work like Wunderground weather.

    dinwitty, Nov 22, 2013