AK raw shooter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BillU, May 31, 2006.

  1. BillU

    BillU Guest

    From a current news thread in rec.photo.digital
    I am about to skim the rest of the thread
    ---------
    My wife and I have just returned from a cruise to Alaska, where we both
    took a lot of photos. On this trip we shot all raw, I found to my
    delight that it was almost impossible to over expose an image when
    shooting raw.

    Here are two photos that were saved because I was shooting raw, both
    would have been way over exposed if I was shooting jpeg.
    http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/61045238
    http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/61044980

    In both cases I show what the camera jpeg would have looked like next
    to what I recovered using the raw file.

    Once we got home I decided to do a test to see just how much over
    exposed a photo can be and still be saved with the raw file. For this
    test I shot in the raw+jpeg mode so I could get the jpeg exactly as the
    camera produces it. In the test I shot at the normal meter setting and
    then two stops over exposed. In this image there are three photos, the
    top one is the jpeg from the camera at normal exposure, the middle one
    is the camera jpeg two stops over exposed, the bottom is from the raw
    file that was captured at the same time, converted using Photoshop
    Elements 3. Note I adjusted the color balance as well as the jpeg
    images looked a little on the cool side to me.

    http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/61045031

    In the past when shooting jpegs I would spend a lot of time looking at
    histograms to make sure I was not blowing out the highlights. On this
    trip I pretty much just took photos and had to worry about the
    histograms far less.

    There is a perception by some that shooting raw is more work then
    shooting jpegs. The more I shoot raw the more I realize that it is far
    easier to shoot in raw then jpeg. I simply don't have to take the
    time on every shot to see if I have blown the highlights.

    BTW here is a small sampling of the photo I took on the trip.
    http://www.pbase.com/konascott/alaska

    Scott

    BillU, May 31, 2006

  2. BillU

    D Mac Guest

    If obtaining correct exposure is the only reason you capture RAW, you really
    do need to learn more about the subject.

    D Mac, May 31, 2006

  3. BillU

    Mark² Guest

    Exposure correction (shadow detail and highlight capture) is a HUGE aspect
    of why RAW is so powerful.
    The only other MAJOR factors are white balance and non-compression factors.

    What other biggie would you have him obsess over, Doug?

    Mark², May 31, 2006