AIM - how to support multiple users on one computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ., Jun 21, 2006.

  1. .

    . Guest

    We have an old Windows 2000 computer at home that my kids share.

    With the advent of summer, I'm finally giving in and letting them have
    AOL Instant Messaging.

    However, I'd like to have multiple users on this one computer. That is,
    if Joe wants to use AIM, he can click one icon and his screenname, buddy
    list, etc. are accessible; if Mary wants to use it, she clicks a
    different icon for access to her account, etc.

    I realize the "right" way would be to set up multiple user accounts in
    Windows 2000, and then of course they'd only have access to their own
    stuff. I just don't want the setup hassle of doing that though.

    So is there a way to easily do this? I made a copy of the aimx folder
    from the program files area, but when I clicked on the aim.exe file in
    the copy, it still pointed to the first aol user configuration.

    This can't be that rare a problem, but I can't find suggestions in
    google.

    ., Jun 21, 2006

  2. You answered your own question. How hard can it be to set up mulitple
    user accounts?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 21, 2006

  3. .

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In .. spewed forth:

    One user logs out, the next user logs in, right? At least that's the way MSN
    Messenger (file, sign out) and Yahoo messenger work.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2006
  4. .

    Dennis Guest

    Setting up a few extra user accounts would have taken 10-20 times less
    time then it took you to write this message. You sir - are lazy.

    Dennis, Jun 21, 2006
  5. .

    Top Guest

    Toolman Tim has brought this to us :
    With AOL you have to switch screen names.

    Top

    Top, Jun 21, 2006
  6. .

    Top Guest

    Dennis explained :
    His kids haven't taught him AOL yet.

    Top, Jun 21, 2006
  7. .

    . Guest

    Actually, I have set up multiple accounts once. That was easy. The
    hard part - and I probably just overlooked something obvious - was
    configuring already-installed programs to work properly.

    For example, I wanted each logged-in user to have their own
    automatically-defaulted browser profile (bookmarks, passwords, etc.) -
    we use Firefox and Netscape. Or not allow Joe, when logged in, to have
    access to Mary's Word documents or Excel stuff, etc.

    For example, given the browser example, please patiently take me through
    the steps I'd need to follow to set up "Joe" and "Mary" accounts, and
    have each account have a Firefox launch, configured to the user's
    preferences.

    ., Jun 21, 2006