AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and Audio

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TJ, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Sorry if I'm not asking in the correct places but I can't find my answer via
    Google, nor can I find a newsgroup dedicated to AIM on Giganews... Anyway;

    Recently AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) has been including audio (mostly from
    movie
    trailers) with the advertisements at the top of the Buddy List.

    I'm at my wits end.

    I can stop the news ticker, and the stock ticker, but I
    can't seem to figure out how to stop the audio portion of these
    advertisemnets.

    Honestly, I don't care if they want to run video up there. I never look at
    it anyway. But the audio has GOT to GO!

    Calling AOL is no help. The following is a transcript from a call I made
    about a
    week ago:

    {phone menu}
    {transfer}
    {transfer}
    {transfer}

    Finally I get a 'live one' on the line who's name is something I can't even
    pronounce, let alone spell, and I pose my query;

    The response? "AOL and AIM are different. There is nothing AOL can do
    about it. You need to contact AIM."

    So I say, "That's kinda funny. AIM has the acronym AOL in it. It's called
    AOL-Instant-Messenger, right? How is it different?"

    The response? "I'm not sure."

    So I say, "Can you give me a contact number for AIM?"

    The response? "AOL is different than AOL Instant Messenger."

    So I say, "Yes, so you've said. Can you give me a contact number for AIM?"

    {pause}

    The response? "I'm sorry sir, but I don't have that information available."

    So I say, "That's OK. You've done enough."

    The response? "Thank you for calling AOL. Is there anything else I can
    help ....

    So I say, {CLICK}

    NOW what am I gonna do to stop AOL from jamming sounds down my throat that I
    never asked for, and have NO (obvious) WAY of turning off?

    Ahh. I know. I'll go to the AIM page www.aim.com. SURELY there will be
    assistance, or a contact number there!

    WRONG!

    The only "contact" I see listed leads to a "Bug Report".

    Fine. That's the way you want it? That's the way you get it.

    So each and every day, for a nearly a month, I have submitted a bug report
    to AIM
    after reading my morning email. In each and every instance I give accurate
    information, and chose "sound" from the drop-down menu form. And because
    the problem is (of course) not listed, I use the text boxes, "Describe the
    Problem" and "Steps needed to Recreate the Problem".

    Under "Describe" I write; "I'm hearing movie trailers I never asked to
    hear, and it distracts from my normal means of communication with others."

    Under "Steps" I write; "Launch AIM"

    No joy.

    I *MUST* be missing something. Is there SOME simpler way to make it stop?

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003

  2. TJ

    Rob K Guest

    If you *must* be on AOL , uninstall the whole messenger and use
    Trillian (free) instead. You'll find it here:
    http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    Cerulean states their product is spy- and adware free.

    Rob K, Dec 5, 2003

  3. TJ

    John Holmes Guest

    TJ came up with this:
    AOL and AIM are the largest piles if shit ever.
    Dump it, is my advice....

    John Holmes, Dec 5, 2003
  4. TJ

    Boomer Guest

    I like it. :)

    Connects to AOL, MSN IM and Yahoo IM.

    Boomer, Dec 5, 2003
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Well thought out reply. Thanks. Not.
    How 'bout I just dump you? Yeah. That'd be better.

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  6. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Ummm. There's no reason for *me* to be "on AOL". In fact? I'm not. I just
    use AIM to communicate with a bunch of folks who are.

    I'll check it out. Thanks!
    Cool!

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  7. TJ

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    AOL and AIM are the largest piles if shit ever.
    Eh, smartass reply, but he might be right. AOL is definitely the biggest
    pile of junk ever, and AIM isn't too far behind.
    Both of you could learn to snip the irrelevant.

    Ken Briscoe, Dec 5, 2003
  8. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Which may or may not be true. Regardless? AOL isn't really *MY* problem,
    is it?
    AIM *IS* my problem. They're TWO DIFFERNET THINGS according to AOL.

    Now? Do you have any advice for me regarding the sound problem I (and I'll
    assume MANY others) have with AIM, or were you too busy snipping out the
    relevant parts?
    <snip>

    Better?

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  9. TJ

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Which may or may not be true. Regardless? AOL isn't really *MY*
    problem,
    Fair enough. No, good thing for you, it isn't.
    As you've explained to us. Sucks that AOL won't support it though. It's
    *made* *by* *them*. Sad-sack ISP.
    You feisty!
    Not to sound too obvious, but you mentioned that you've stopped the news
    ticker, etc. In the same preferences screen, there are "sound" options
    (such as the sound that is played when you IM someone, when someone IMs
    you, when a direct connection is made, etc)...have you turned off all the
    sounds? Or searched for "adversitement sounds" or something similar?

    Short of that, and assuming that AIM's technical help doesn't really help,
    I think that Trillian is probably your best bet. Or look into "DeadAIM"
    (sorry, no link handy, google for it). It's an add-on/plug-in type program
    that allows cloning, tabbed IM windows, and a bunch of other stuff,
    including getting rid of the ads. I don't know if it will work on the sound
    part of the ads, but it definitely gets rid of the video part of the ads on
    the buddy list. So one would think that it works for audio as well. The
    official site now charges a few bucks for the program, but it's worth it.
    With a little digging, you may also be able to find a slightly older
    version - when it was freeware.
    Much! ;)

    Ken Briscoe, Dec 5, 2003
  10. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Ken Briscoe failed to attribute ANYTHING, and then snipped [without
    indication] everything written previously, yet still managed to scribble:
    Except for the fact that if anybody walked into the middle of this thread?
    They's have no way of knowing any of the above the way you butchered your
    replies? ...Would they?
    Damn straight. And I'll get even 'fiestier' should you continue to bitch
    about 'snipping', when you can't seem to attribute, and never indicate where
    snip.
    Yes. As I've said. I've already perused the obvious options. No joy.
    To my knowledge? There IS NO AIM TECHNICAL HELP other than the "report a
    problem" form. Which EVERYBODY would still know about, had you not
    'snipped' it.
    As I've already repied to another. I'll check it out. Thanks.

    And YOU could learn to attribute, as well as leave pertinant portions of
    posts alone.
    I think so.

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  11. TJ

    trout Guest

    <snip>

    This might be more trouble than it's worth, as it apparently needs
    to be done for each session; but I thought it might be worth a mention:
    http://www.oneishy.com/aim_removeads.php

    trout, Dec 5, 2003
  12. TJ

    bb3 Guest

    <snip>

    On this page, at the bottom, they suggest installing a patch or
    downgrading.
    http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7443

    bb3, Dec 5, 2003
  13. TJ

    bb3 Guest

    I also found this... http://www.observers.net/aimadfix.html
    I don't use AIM, so I don't know if it works or not, but considering
    your level of frustration it's certainly worth a shot.

    Several more here... http://makeashorterlink.com/?R27134BB6 ... just
    start at the top and work your way down until something works, I guess.

    bb3, Dec 5, 2003
  14. TJ

    TJ Guest

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  15. TJ

    bb3 Guest

    You're welcome.

    bb3, Dec 5, 2003
  16. TJ Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <Major snip>

    Sorry to jump into this budding flamefest, but have you considered
    Trillian? I see you use OE as your newsreader so I assume you use a
    Windoze product.

    Trillian works under Windoze and supports MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and
    even IRC. I have it installed on my 2000 server and no sound is
    coming from it. <G>

    HTH, and if you want flames, let me know. I aim to please. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003
  17. Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003
  18. Boomer Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    Yeah. I wish there was a linux port of it. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003
  19. TJ

    trout Guest

    <snip>

    Pssst. Here's part of the post that you just replied to that you
    snipped out:
    [paste]
    As I've already repied to another. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    [end paste]

    trout, Dec 6, 2003
  20. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Thanks trout. I was hoping *somebody* around here could still follow the
    thread after all the snipping. :) Obviously, *you* could.

    And by the way? Trillion seems to work fine!

    NO thanks to you! ;-)

    TJ, Dec 6, 2003