    methos

    here are the links : http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16689
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

    anon, Dec 22, 2003

  2. anon

    Jordan Lund Guest

    I can't imagine that Jackson would allow it. Sounds like another
    Unsubstantiated Internet Rumor (UIR) to me...

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Dec 22, 2003

  3. anon

    John Guest

    I can't imagine New Line having the nerve to do such a thing, especially
    since the money they would spend on the effects would only be made back
    many times over in sales.

    Even if New Line did get cheap on us, Jackson wouldn't allow the stuff
    to be done anywhere else and would probably pay for effects from his own
    wallet.

    John, Dec 23, 2003
  4. anon

    Peter Briggs Guest

    I CAN imagine that New Line would do it, simply because I know the way
    movie companies work.

    Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
    was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

    And, remember...New Line have *no obligation* whatsoever to add anything
    further to this franchise, now it has ended. (Would the FX budget be
    recouped any further, than the people who will already buy the ROTK:SE?
    Debatable.)

    Do I think it'll happen? No. New Line want to do business with Jackson
    in the future. They'll bite the bullet, and pay the cash.

    The question is....is WETA at a point where they now can do it? I heard
    there were a significant number of job redundancies recently in the
    pre-Kong lull, as they couldn't keep the staff on payroll until that
    starts up in earnest. (It was great that WETA could take on the ships
    for "Master And Commander", but I wonder how many other productions have
    similarly kept the Workshop open?)

    Peter Briggs, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Really? I was under the impression that they were merely the
    distributors of the movies, not the guys providing the production costs.
    I think they've shown a lot of class thus far with this franchise, more
    respect than is usual these days for a studio.
    This slump is just temporary for WETA, they have too many talented
    people to fail. I would not be surprised if in ten years, WETA Digital
    and WETA Workshop are in the place where ILM and Stan Winston are now.
    In my opinion ILM's quality level has been slipping after Jurassic Park,
    the best 3D work they do is equal to the worst 3D work that WETA Digital
    did. I think you'll see WETA leading the FX reins in a decade or so,
    with Digital Domain and Jim Henson's Creature shop doing everything that
    WETA is too busy to do.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 23, 2003
  6. anon

    Jay G Guest

    FOX owns the original Star Wars movie. It's my understanding
    that FOX funded the SE of Star Wars for it's 20th anniversary.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Dec 23, 2003
  7. I think FOX did pay for the SE effects. The way I remember it is
    that, at the time, Lucas hadn't sold the distribution rights to the
    prequals yet. So FOX offered to pay the production costs for the SEs
    of the original trilogy as a gesture of goodwill, so that Lucas would
    hopefully come to them first when he was ready to find a distributor
    for Episodes 1-3.

    Cap'n Lance Trousers, Dec 24, 2003
  8. Given that Lucas actually owns 2 of these films outright, so would I be
    if I were Fox.

    Tallulah Blanket, Dec 24, 2003