Agency using my photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eugene, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. eugene

    eugene Guest

    My brother's wife disappeared over two years ago and her body was found four
    months later! She had been brutally murdered! During the time of her
    disappearance, a lot of MY photos were used in the search for her. This
    week, her murderer was sentenced to life imprisonment and naturally enough,
    the local press has been covering the trial and verdict. In the main
    newspaper here in the north of Ireland, a photo was used this week, of
    Attracta and her son. Under the photo was printed, photo.....Alan
    Lewis/Photopress. This was my photo and I was furious that someone was
    obviously making money out of it's use. The Daily Mirror/Sun/Star etc were
    all using photos but I wasn't going to buy all of them to see if they too
    had copies of my photos. I managed to track down this Alan Lewis and
    initially I asked if he was the photographer who supplied photos to various
    newspapers here. He simply and (I thought) arrogantly replied, "Yes". When I
    mailed him again and demanded to know why he had claimed one of my photos as
    HIS and asked how he had obtained this photo in the first place, he did not
    reply. I have mailed him since and he still won't reply. Any suggestions on
    what I should do about this. I had no intention of trying to make money out
    of this horrendous family tragedy and it makes me feel sick that this guy is
    doing so!

    Eugene

    By the way, I am a wedding photographer and this was why I had so many
    photos, as I covered two of these family weddings.

    eugene, Apr 15, 2006

  2. eugene

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Send a letter to the agency that he works through, explaining the
    situation and including copies of the photos in question.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 15, 2006

  3. eugene

    Backbone Guest

    In the US all I would need is the negative and a copy of the printed offence
    to make my case!!! Unless he's contracted I'd go after the News Agency that
    printed the photo - if you won the case then perhaps he'll lose his job!
    You'll perhaps receive a large chunk of change - photographer in question
    will never work as a News Photographer again - Here in the US he would be
    blacklisted = ruined career!!!

    Backbone, Apr 15, 2006
  4. eugene

    Marvin Guest

    I would start by telling the newspaper who used the photo he
    supplied that he sold them your photo without permission.
    I'm assuming that you have evidence that the photo is yours,
    in case he makes a legal issue of your complaint.

    Marvin, Apr 15, 2006
  5. eugene

    Charles Guest

    I'd get a lawyer. But that is me. It is not a matter of you making
    money from the tragedy but the principle of this person abusing you.

    Charles, Apr 15, 2006
  6. Sorry to hear about the death.

    I would suggest you have two actions you might take. You could contact
    the agency or news outlet that used the photo and or you could contact a
    local attorney.

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 15, 2006