    their bottom line. Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    (well, some support Pentax.).

    RichA, Aug 11, 2010

  2. Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
    mounts are not available in Canada?

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 11, 2010

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
    makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
    Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
    Olympus.
    Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
    only for Canon and Nikon.

    RichA, Aug 11, 2010
  4. RichA

    John A. Guest

    I'll admit it wasn't an exhaustive search, but the two lenses I
    selected at random on the Tamron web site were listed as available for
    Canon, Nikon, Pentax, & Sony.

    And here's Sigma's compatibility chart, listing several camera brands:
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/dc-lens-compatability-chart

    John A., Aug 12, 2010
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
    Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
    manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
    quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.

    Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
    offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 12, 2010
  7. I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such as
    the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into the
    niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they don't seem
    very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was available in
    4/3 mount yet the new one is not.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 12, 2010
  8. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Based on my personal experiences which you witnessed, Sigma ought to
    concentrate on quality control of the mounts they currently make.

    Peter, Aug 12, 2010
  9. Since that episode, I've gotten a Tokina lens that fits tight like that
    Sigma you tested. A fellow member of the Suffolk group I belong to reported
    a similar issue with a Nikon lens he had that he returned for a replacement.
    I've never had that probelm with any Sigma lens but only with one Tokina.
    There are quality issues with all makes, not that I'm defending Sigma.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 12, 2010
  10. RichA

    Peter Guest

    I can understand and even forgive QC issues. What drove me up the wall was
    when Tim, the Sigma rep kept trying to BS me by telling me it was supposed
    to be that way. If one of my employees ever did the equivalent, I would have
    canned him on the spot.

    You don't lie to customers.

    Peter, Aug 12, 2010
  11. That can't be defended. That lens will always be a tight-fit, there's no
    "break-in" that will occur. To insinuate that it would loosen up was not
    right. It would have been simple to say that they'd just get another lens
    off of the shelf for you. I would have undoubtedly returned that one, it
    was far too tight.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 12, 2010
  12. RichA

    Peter Guest

    It might have eventually loosened up. But, if the fitting on my camera was
    softer than the metal on the Sigma, I would have had a major problem. After
    lunch I went to Nikon and they thoroughly checked the fittings. We even
    tried other Nikon Lenses on other bodies. All was according to specs.
    Eventually sigma will get the message. But, since they do not have me on
    board as a consultant, I have no reason to spend to spend any more time on
    this issue.

    Peter, Aug 12, 2010
  13. Tamron has also moved into Sony.

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 12, 2010
  14. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
    : their bottom line. Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    : the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    : (well, some support Pentax.).

    Olympus?? Given how you've sneered at them lately, wouldn't you think any
    3rd-party lens company was insane that spent even one Loonie on supporting
    their cameras?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 14, 2010