    windows firewall feature but it made no difference.

    Any ideas?

    Howard

    Howard Woodard, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Loose the HTML Howard!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old [email protected] :)

    I posted this to a couple of newsgroups yesterday but got no responses so
    I'm trying "post-holiday".

    I've seen several similar posts but as the TV commercial says, "not
    exactly"...

    I just upgraded all three of my machines to sp2 today and now I have a
    strange situation.

    I have a Linksys wireless network with one desktop connected directly to the
    WAP and another desktop and one laptop connecting wireless to the WAP. My
    dsl modem is connected to the WAP for sharing by all. Since upgrading to
    sp2 the internet connection is showing "disabled". It is actually working
    just fine -- at least everything is using it ok. However, all three devices
    are showing it as disabled in My Network Connections. All will show
    "connected" in the Enable dialog box but the status never changes.

    All of the computers were bought new with XP and the drivers are the drivers
    that have always been installed. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron with their
    TruMobil wireless adapter. One of the desktops is a new e-Machine and its
    ethernet adapter is connected to a Linksys wireless transmitter and the
    third is a Sony Vaio and its ethernet connecter goes directly into the back
    of the Linksys wireless access point. The dsl modem (actually a Cisco 678
    router) is connected to the WAP as well. The WAP is both WAP and 4-port
    switch.

    Yesterday, the dsl modem was showing up correctly on all three computers
    under My Network Connections and could be enabled and/or disabled from any
    of them. The only difference between then and now is that I applied sp2 to
    each of them. As I mentioned in my first message, I have disabled the

    Richard Urban, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Mr. Woodard,

    I read your post and would like to help you with your problem. However, there are a few details that I would like to clear up before proceeding.

    You said that before SP1 you could "see" the DSL modem on all three computers under My Network Connections. How do you mean? If I have a wired/wireless connection, I see the connection as being either enabled, disabled, connected or not connected. However, I never see the DSL modem; I could ping it, just like I can ping the WAP. This makes me wonder if you have other 3rd party management software installed for managing this DSL router, etc. Could you provide more information about this? It is quite possible, though regrettable, that some 3rd party software stops working after a SP upgrade, however, that is not to say that it cannot be made to work.

    As far as I am concerned, when my actual connection becomes connected, I have network connectivity. When using my laptop, the only status I check is the status of either my wired or wireless connection, as this is what is providing me with information about whether or not I have network connectivity, and in my case, acquired a network IP address from the DHCP server.

    If I have misunderstood anything from your post, please correct me. I look forward to resolving your problem.

    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Sep 8, 2004
  4. Mr Woodard,

    I read your email regarding the fact that what you see on the Network
    Connection page is simply one icon that is called Internet Connection. The
    problem is, I don't know what software this is! It certainly is not a
    wireless adapter, because it would make reference to the actualy hardware
    (i.e. the WiFi card, in this case). What software is the system running?
    It sounds like there is some Qwest software that is sitting on top of the
    WiFi card.

    Open up the Network Connections folder again, select the connection and from
    the right-hand menu select "Properties". When you have the Properties
    window open, click the "Configure" button and tell me what you can see from
    the Device Properties window that pops-up. I imagine that this is some
    other piece of software, the behavior of which could have changed with the
    fixes introduced in SP2.

    Please post a reply with this information and I will follow-up ASAP.

    Regards,
    Brian

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Howards Note:

    Bye "see", I mean that under View Network Connections there is an icon
    called Internet Connection. When I highlight it it shows the following in
    the details section:
    Internet Connection
    Internet Gateway
    Disabled
    Internet Connection
    Though it shows disabled it is actually working just fine -- all PCs can
    access the internet. If I run the network setup wizard it finds an "unknown
    device used for accessing the internet" and will use it to set up properly.
    When I right click on the icon it shows Enable bolded and Status grayed out.
    If I click on Enable I get a little message box showing "connecting" and
    then changing to "connected". However, the device details still show it as
    disabled. Btw, the details section does not show "connected" or
    "disconnected" and as I said, the Status item is grayed out on the [right
    click] menu.

    The dsl modem is actually a Cisco 678 modem setup by Qwest 4 years ago when
    my dsl was installed. Nothing has changed on any of the Linksys or Cisco
    stuff. I don't want to fixate on sp2 but that's the only thing that has
    changed.

    Richard Urban, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Thanks Brian. I'm sorry to have been so long in replying but I left town
    yesterday and just returned a little while ago. I'll try to answer your
    questions.

    On the Network Connections page are three icons grouped by status. Two are
    under the status "Connected" ("1394 Connection" and "Local Area Connection")
    and one under the status "Disabled" called "Internet Connection".

    When I click on properties for the icon called "Internet Connection" on XP's
    "View Network Connections" I get another box called "Internet Connection
    Properties" with one tab called "General". Just below the tab it says
    "Connect to the internet using:" followed by a field that has a network icon
    followed by "Internet Connection".

    Just below that is "This connection allows you to connect to the internet
    through a shared connection on another computer".

    Btw, when the network was setup it was set up for connection method "This
    computer connects to the internet through a network hub. Other computers on
    my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub."

    At the bottom of the box is a button called "Settings". When I click on it
    I get another box called "Advanced Settings" with one tab called "Services".
    Beneath the tab is a list of services with two checked. One for MsnMsgr (19
    that is for a TCP port and another with the same name for a UDP port.

    Does this help?

    Howard

    Howard Woodard, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Howard,

    I believe that this connection is not being used because you are connecting
    directly throught the local area network (through the LAN Connection) to the
    internet. You can confirm this of course by double-clicking the Local Area
    Connection and watching the lights flicker on the status page as you go
    about your bussiness in the internet. As to why this part was disabled, I
    have no idea.

    It seems to me that this configuration, which is called Internet Connection
    Sharing, is not needed on your system. Is one of the computers set up to
    share their internet connection? Based on what you've said as to the
    configuration selection, I would assume that it is safe to delete this
    extra, and now disabled connection. It could be that, before it was not
    being used, but was being marked as enabled. I am not sure, however, how
    this connection came to be made on your computer, since it appears that you
    are not using it, nor have had the need to use it.

    You would have needed to use it if you had 1 computer with a direct
    connection to the internet via DSL modem and then wanted, via another
    ethernet card wired to the rest of the computers in your house, share this
    connection. Even a dial-up connection could be shared this way. Could this
    have been the case?

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Sep 16, 2004
  8. Howard Woodard

    Quaoar Guest

    Disable the 1394 connection; the problem might clear. The Internet
    Connection is an artifact of the ICS/ICF service which I have found (I
    think!) must be left running even if the Windows Firewall is disabled.
    Disabling the ICS/ICF service will on my netword make it impossible to
    connect to the network, although internet connectivity is not affected.
    The Internet Connection likely cannot be deleted, but is disabled, which
    is just as effective.

    Also, right-click the start button, properties, taskbar properties,
    customize and select Always show for the wireless icon. Then wait to
    correct anything for two reboots - SP2 does some weird stuff, perhaps
    desktop optimizations, and the taskbar and quicklaunch seem to need a
    couple of reboots to make the changes permanent. Otherwise you can
    chase your tail trying to get everything locked down the way you want.

    Quaoar, Sep 18, 2004
  9. Thanks Brian and Q. This connection was set up when I installed Qwest
    DSL -- at least that's the first time I remember ever seeing it. At the
    time I did not have a LAN and the DSL modem was connected directly to my PC.
    Since then I have installed a Linksys wireless LAN -- this machine is the
    only one that connects directly to the WAP/SW; all of the other machines
    connect via wireless. The DSL router/modem is now connected to the WAP/SW.

    I would think that you are probably right except for [possibly] one thing.
    All of the machines network setup (wizard) specified that they connected to
    the internet through a hub. All of the machines see this same Internet
    Connection and all group it under the same Internet Connection" type.

    I'm tempted to try deleting it from each machine and see what happens. The
    only problem with that is that this connections shows up some times and
    sometimes it doesn't -- now being one of the latter. When it shows up again
    I'll see if I can delete it and let your know.

    Q: The 1394 connection is used for my Sony iLink interface. I don't think I
    want to disable that do I?

    Thanks to both of you.

    Regards,

    Howard

    Howard Woodard, Sep 20, 2004
  10. It just showed up again. It shows up under type "Internet Gateway".

    Does that help?

    Howard

    Howard Woodard, Sep 20, 2004
  11. Howard,

    I am guessing that it came about because of this Qwest software. It might
    be OK to delete the connection; however, it is 3rd party software and I
    cannot really help you with these sorts of issues, entirely. If there were
    still Qwest software installed on this machines, you could certainly run the
    uninstaller to see if that would remove the problem. It is strange to me
    that this would keep popping up again and again!

    The other approach, since I feel pretty sure that it is 3rd party software
    issue, is just let it be. Uninstall whatever remnant settings/software
    still reside on these systems sounds like the right answer, but I am not
    sure what to tell you to uninstall!

    Brian

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Sep 21, 2004