After reading/writing 1.000.000 little files, sound corruptions occurs in XP x64 Pro ?!?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    Hardware specifications see:

    Skybuck's Dream PC for 2006 and upgraded in 2008 (new case/new cooler/one
    graphics card removed/different pci-e slots)

    Software specifications:

    Windows XP x64 Pro all service packs and updates installed.

    Symptoms:

    X-Fi Elite pro soundblaster sound crackling after reading/writing millions
    of little files unrelated to sound.
    (Just reading/writing little text files with Delphi 2007 and executing them
    with PMARSW95) ?!

    Questions:

    How is it possible that the file system affects the sound driver
    system/software/hardware ?

    (Maybe something is corrupting the windows xp x64 pro kernel or corrupting
    the sound drivers somehow or maybe it's the motherboard that can't take all
    the stress ?)

    (I also changed from console printing text... to less console printing text,
    not sure if that will make it go away)

    I thought I report this issue because it seems to be a pretty serious issue
    ?!

    If corruption is happening somewhere in the system then there is no telling
    what else might get corrupted ?!

    I love hearing any theories you might have ?!

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009

  2. Thanks to advanced controls in the windows audio properties/recording
    options... "what u hear" I can record "what I hear" :)

    So I made one recording to let you hear what I hear !:

    I uploaded the sample to my webdrive:

    http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/CracklingAfterMillionsOfReadsAndWrites/

    I will try to collect more audio samples... because I noticed this crackling
    yesterday or the day before too when I was doing millions of reads/writes of
    little files as well.

    The crackling happens in some you tube video's... very noticeable.

    So all samples/uploads will go to that folder... so check it out later when
    I have some more for you ! =D\

    (After a reboot the crackling will be gone... so not gonna reboot yet ;))

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009

  3. I was not able to capture any other weird sounds...

    Though when running civ3 conquest and then using anything else to produce
    sound especially the beep makes weird sound too... had that problem from the
    start..

    But this crackling is new..

    I tried youtube/viddler/uvideo video's and what not...

    Winamp...

    And

    Battlefield 2... when I started playing it make weird sound I wanted to
    record it but then as I alt-tabbed bf2 "disappeared/crashed".

    Then I reloaded it... but no weird sounds anymore...

    One little theory could be: another memory chip might be slightly damaged...
    and it's only noticeable with high memory usage...

    Since the file system cache will go to 2 GB or so when using millions of
    little files... maybe this forces other sounds to go into other memory chips
    or so...

    Another explanation is a bug in windows or sound drivers which is somehow
    triggered by reading/writing millions of files.

    Another theory is some codec got corrupted or is bad/has bug... I should
    figure out which codec is being used to play the "error/beep" sound from
    windows... and then see if others use other codecs.

    I will give it a rest for now... it doesn't seem to be too serious for now.

    If I ever come across corruption like this again I will let you know...

    But I am pretty much done with processing millions of files so it's becoming
    unlikely that I will come across it again...

    But maybe... I will do some more processing so nothing is certain.

    Next time... now that I know how to "record what you/i hear" I will most
    definetly record it... just to have some wacky proof of what is going on !
    :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;) ! =D

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Also one last little detail I don't know if it's important... probably
    not...

    But the sound was produced with "textpad" by simply going up with the cursor
    until it can go no further... then it produces this error beep... which
    sounds just like/seems to be simply the standard windows error beep !? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  5. HDD thrashing? CPU maxed out? Paging as DRAM maxed out?

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Feb 16, 2009
  6. Ok,

    I just came across more sound corruption when I was trying to make a
    screenshot of how I enabled the recording option.

    Later I will also put a screenshot in the folder so that I and others can
    later in time see how to enable it in case I forget it and quickly need to
    find it ?! ;) :)

    One more time the webfolder:

    http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/CracklingAfterMillionsOfReadsAndWrites/

    New sound corruption mp3 is called:

    ErrorBeep2InVolumeControl.mp3

    Screenshot will follow shortly ! ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  7. And here is the screenshot showing how to "do it" / "record directly from
    windows" :)

    http://members.home.nl/hbthoupperma...Writes/RecordingSoundsDirectlyFromWindows.PNG

    You might need to resize in IE Explorer/Web browser since it's large
    resolution picture ;)

    (My display is 1920x1200... but it should fit on slightly smaller monitor...
    just try making webbrowser big first... then in the bottom corner an icon
    should appear to make it larger/zoom in/true size etc)

    (I used goldwave but sound recorder might have worked just as well ! ;))

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  8. I have many services off in Windows... especially the ones I don't need or
    slow down the system..

    For example just a few days ago I updated windows... and .NET 3.5 was
    installed.

    I think it installed some kind of .NET Optimizer Services which become
    active when the system is idle...

    I don't like that... I want my system to be idle when it's idle... not
    suddenly busy...

    Besides I don't really know what it does.

    So for safety I disabled those services...

    It's just an example...

    Anyway the indexing service is disabled.

    I am not processing any files when the sound corruption occured.

    The files processing happened minutes or hours ago... but somehow it
    affected the system afterwards...

    I do have an nvidia chipset... and have had other x-fi issue's...

    Also I know it's officially called hypothesis but I don't like that word...

    I like the word "theory" better... even if it officially has another
    meaning.

    For me it means "hypothesis" ;) :)

    However it does seem file system activity related because I have noticed the
    same kind of sound corruption when BF2 loads...

    Maybe windows is actually loading these beep sounds all the time... instead
    of pre-loading or caching them.

    That could explain why it suddenly sounds corrupted...

    Another explanation could be the play/recording control itself is corrupted
    ?!?

    So many possibilities... and I probably have no way of tracking it down...
    except maybe replacing memory chips but I am not gonna do that...

    I could do a memory test later on if windows xp x64 pro has a memory test
    like windows 7 has ???

    I am not sure if x64 pro has it ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  9. Now suddenly the same situation... and the beeps sounds just fine...

    As if the corruption is moving through the system...

    But in reality it's probably just a certain memory region which is affected
    ?

    Since I assume the memory for the beep gets reloaded ?

    So if this "hypothesis" is correct this could indicate memory chip problems
    ? OH-OH ?

    Or maybe this hypothesis is incorrect (wishfull thinking ?)

    Maybe I can write a "test program" which will simply allocate a large chunk
    of memory and then fill it with "wave sound buffers" and then simply try and
    play it !

    If the memory does get corrupted... or is corrupt somehow... maybe this will
    show up during the wave playback ! ;)

    Cool idea isn't it ?!

    This would require locking the memory so it isn't moved by windows ?!

    Maybe some day I try to write such a tool but right now I am busy with other
    stuff...

    Besides I don't have that much experience with wave/audio stuff but I could
    probably do it...

    Maybe somebody else can make it... or maybe such a tool already exists ?!?

    Anyway if it doesn't exist... then consider this a FIRST ! WIEEE ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  10. I just had a freightning funny thought:

    What if one of my corewar warriors accidently left it's safe environment and
    accidentally entired my real system and is now travelling through my system
    causing havoc ? LOL.

    NOOOOOO CAN'T BE !? LOL.

    Or can it ? ;)

    NEH I am just being silly/crazy/fantysizing... but the sound corruption is
    real though ?!

    Maybe something else is travelling through the system ?

    Maybe some kind of kernel thread that escaped ?

    Who knows ?!

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  11. Some more sound corruption occured while I was making a new post/thread to
    bring people to the attention of this "new corruption detection through
    sound" idea...

    This will be my last sound sample/recording ! ;) Check the webdrive ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  12. Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  13. Euhm... actually it's a screenshot from the volume control beep
    corruption... little mistake there... but ok...

    I'll make another screenshot of the outlook express beep...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  14. Ok, file renamed and new one copied with same filename to correct it... now
    two screenshots up there ! ;)

    The one from outlook express looks a little bit less artificial ?

    I will make one last screenshot of a different section..

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  15. Skybuck Flying, Feb 16, 2009
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Made worse because they are compressible text files. If they were zip
    files it wouldn't happen.

    Jeff Gaines, Feb 16, 2009
  17. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Easier to kill.

    krw, Feb 16, 2009
  18. You're theory doesn't add up.

    Somehow file system activity is messing up the sound driver.

    How do you explain that ?

    To me the only logical conclusion would be Windows has a serious bug
    somewhere.

    Either that or maybe the hardware has bugs or is damaged somehow.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 17, 2009