    shoot in +1 or +2. Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Jeff

    jeff liss, Sep 3, 2003

  2. jeff liss

    Andrew Guest

    white balance is a very tricky topic - check luminous-lanscape for a
    backgrounder.

    on my D100 I leave "auto" set and always shoot "RAW".
    That way you can adjust the white balance in Nikon Capture on your PC (I
    think you can do the same in Nikon View too)
    That way you don't have to make a marginal decision on WB settings based on
    the camera's LCD image. Ambient light can be a funny old thing at times.

    under some light conditions, you will see almost no difference between
    cloudy, shade and direct sunlight - that does not surprise me. If you take a
    RAW image and change the settings on screen you can see that the colours do
    change very slightly

    Re. PL - I use a "moose filter" (81A + PL in one) and this gives a slightly
    warm effect to my pix which is how I like them.
    On the occasions I don't want the waming effect of the 81A, then in NC I can
    correct this back out. Just depends on what the majority of your shots will
    need.
    As for the PL - every landscape photographer should always consider using a
    PL. the "moose filter" means you don't have to mess about adding one for
    just a shot or two and if you don;t want the PL effect, then just turn it to
    a (near-)zero effect.
    the moose filter looses around 1 stop, but I tend to take all my landscapes
    on longer exposures in any case, so this is not an issue for me

    Andrew

    Andrew, Sep 5, 2003