    I'm not familiar with these 2 programs. Any advice on my problem, the
    software listed, or other software?

    Thanks

    Shane, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Shane

    Jerry G. Guest

    The recommendations that he gave you are very good. Also, there are products
    from Norton, and McAfee that will also do this.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
    Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

    I am constantly getting a 3rd party popup, from the same advertiser,
    whenever I start IE. Through advise in this newsgroup, I've installed
    a popup blocker that has suppressed all the pop ups. However, the pop
    up is attempted even if I start IE, work offline, and never connect to
    a server. This makes me believe I have Adware or Spyware on my
    system. A writer to the group recommended using:

    Adaware:

    Spybot search and destroy:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Jerry G., Oct 3, 2003

  3. Shane

    Harrison Guest

    Both programs are excellent at finding and removing spyware and
    adware.
    You should download them, download the updates, and run them both.

    Also, if you're running Windows 2000 or XP, disable the messenger
    service.
    See
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_service_popups.htm

    Harrison, Oct 3, 2003
  4. These freeware programs are both excellent and work well. There is a
    99% overlap, so to be sure, it is best to use both. If I were you I
    would get one or both, run the program and see if that doesn't take
    care of the problem.

    These are cures. There are 3 more freeware security programs that
    take a preventive approach: SpywareBlaster, SpyGuard, and WinPatrol.
    I use all 3, and when you get this under control you ought to get at
    least SpywareBlaster. You can find them with Google.

    Benjamin Racinot, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Shane

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Shane said:
    You can trust those 2 programs, but beware, as there are cases where Spybot
    attempts to remove part(s) of Ad-Aware.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Shane

    °Mike° Guest

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    °Mike°, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Shane

    nemo Guest

    Please give further details.

    regards

    nemo

    nemo, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Shane

    nemo Guest

    If you have more details could you please post them as I have seen the
    warnings, but have never experienced any affects.

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Oct 4, 2003
  9. Shane

    Brian H¹© Guest

    nemo said:
    I don't have details to post, I have only seen the warnings like you have,
    without experiencing the problem myself.
    That is why I mentioned it the way I did.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Shane

    °Mike° Guest

    What you have heard is a red herring. SpyBot recognises
    *quarantined* stuff from AAW, as AAW recognises *backed
    up* stuff from SpyBot. Each do NOT recognise the other
    as malware, in any way. Add the quarantine/backup folders
    to the ignore list.

    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  11. Shane

    Brian H¹© Guest

    °Mike° said:
    Thanks, that explains why I never experienced it, as I never keep any
    backups/quarantines.
    ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Oct 4, 2003