  1. Michael Sacks

    sjs031 Guest

    what's the weather like, up your own ass?

    sjs031, Sep 15, 2004

  2. lol. NT certified does not qualify one as an engineer. My 13 year
    old daughter is NT certified and she is just a standard user.

    Mike Anderson, Sep 15, 2004

  3. My degree is in CS, I worked in the field as a professional, (sys
    admin, Developmental Analyst, and finally project manager). I never
    received any certification.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Sep 15, 2004
  4. OK. I am an EE grad from CMU (1964) the year before they created the CS
    dept. I wouldn't even look at M$ until they came out with Windows. I
    have had three Unix machines, a NeXT, an NT4 WS and currently a G4
    PowerBook. I have had NT4 and W2K WSs at work. I got so frustrated
    with M$ that I installed Uwin on all our office machines. I prefer the
    G4. I wouldn't use it for business because the "shrink-wrap" stuff we
    need is not available, but that's the only reason.

    Since this is rec.photo.digital, I wouldn't use anything but a Mac for
    this kind of work!

    Robert Peirce, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Michael Sacks

    Jimson Wead Guest

    The Liquid cooled Dual processor G5 is phreaking awesome.

    Jimson Wead, Sep 16, 2004
  6. The point was that although I use both platforms, I chose Macs for
    personal use at home.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 16, 2004
  7. Michael Sacks

    Jimson Wead Guest

    Of course his daughter should have informed him of that ;-)

    Jimson Wead, Sep 16, 2004
  8. Michael Sacks

    JK Guest

    Not more powerful than dual Opteron systems. The Opteron also
    doesn't need water cooling.

    JK, Sep 16, 2004
  9. Michael Sacks

    JK Guest

    Compare the dual processor G5 systems to dual processor Opteron
    systems.

    JK, Sep 16, 2004
  10. Michael Sacks

    Jimson Wead Guest

    I doubt the G5 does either, however water cooling probably would make
    any machine work better, and since the Mac does have it its a bonus.

    Jimson Wead, Sep 16, 2004
  11. Michael Sacks

    JK Guest

    Run software for Windows. There are many business applications only
    written for Windows. One could run them on a Mac using emulation, however
    they would run quite slow. there are also many games only available
    for Windows.

    JK, Sep 16, 2004
  12. The most popular business application - Office - does extremely well in
    the OS X version. So does Quicken, Quickbooks...Internet
    apps...anything your PC can do, my Mac can do just as well.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 16, 2004
  13. And you pay a premium price for your snobbery. Works out in the end, if
    you ask me.

    Brian C. Baird, Sep 16, 2004
  14. Michael Sacks

    Jimson Wead Guest

    A price like being able to use a more integrated and user friendly OS, a
    cleaner looking GUI? Or in general a company that works to maintain a
    level of overall quality that quite frankly lacks in most PC computers I
    see in offices and homes? Not to mention security flaws that M$ has
    managed to seamlessly incorporate in its OS. Realistically OS's are
    going towards the more generic, so what's running the hardware will
    eventually become very similar perhaps different in name only the real
    difference will still remain the hardware, who makes it and how well,
    IMOP.

    Jimson Wead, Sep 16, 2004
  15. There's this thing called coherent thought. Apparently you lack it.

    It doesn't matter if you're running Mac or PC, if you're a complete twit
    you're going to have troubles. Since XP works extremely well when
    properly configured (the security problems have mostly been fixed, and
    in any case installing a firewall is not hard to do), the only
    difference practically is the cost between platforms.

    Price. That's where Apple loses. Not only do they want a Mac OS, they
    want Mac hardware. They don't have economy of scale, nor a competitive
    market to drive costs down. They don't have the benefits of multiple
    groups innovating at the same time. They've got a hell of a visual
    design team, but that only gets you so far.

    Brian C. Baird, Sep 16, 2004
  16. Michael Sacks

    Jimson Wead Guest

    Hum; and the quality of your reply is indicative of a low aptitude.

    That is; regarding the need you feel to insult, when none was initially
    offered in your direction. I'll try to reciprocate, but I am guessing
    that statement will lost one your feeble PC enabled and dependent mind.

    Really no cost deference when you consider the price points the various
    Apple models cover, that is if your only talking hardware. Most software
    is either supplied on the Apple, or is written by independent writers
    who choose to charge a premium, maybe it rankles some people that Apple
    controls that process to insure the user gets a positive experience
    maybe it keeps some sloppy minded people from doing their "snort" job.

    Maybe it costs more but, but as I have stated previously there are a
    lot of IT professionals I know that like the Mac and respect it, I value
    their "coherent" perception vastly by comparison to your thought
    whatever it was, once.
    The issue is quality not quantity, and most specifically regarding the
    hardware.

    If you want games PC's have lots. Really a moot point and becoming more
    so every day with open source.

    Jimson Wead, Sep 16, 2004
  17. It's not snobbery, and pricewise you're right in the ballpark with any
    decent PC. Now, if you're comparing to some piece of crap like
    e-Machines, then I guess it's not a very good value.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 16, 2004
  18. Michael Sacks

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Macs are vastly over priced at any performance level. Fact, you can
    ignore it all you wish, but it won't change the facts.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 16, 2004
  19. Michael Sacks

    clw Guest

    The new iMac is right in line with the other all in one machines made
    for windoz.

    And, the process of connecting peripherals to a mac is much easier than
    with a windoz machine.

    And, a crashed application does not take down the whole OS.

    The only problem with Macs is the paltry RAM they include, but that is
    eaisly taken care of.

    clw, Sep 16, 2004
  20. Michael Sacks

    Chris Brown Guest

    [snip]

    OK, Ron and Brian don't like Macs. I think we got that bit. Are we done now?

    Chris Brown, Sep 16, 2004