    screen(CRT?); amount of RAM; etc?
    Thanks.
    Michael

    Michael Sacks, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Michael Sacks

    sjs031 Guest

    With the new G5 iMac, you've got a pretty powerful 64-bit system with
    either a 17" or 20" screen built right in. If you want more RAM (over 2
    GB) or a monster screen, go with the G5 Power Mac. Either will run
    Photoshop very well. Just shoot for 512 or even 1 GB of RAM and you'll
    be in good shape for even fairly serious photo editing work. The idea
    that you need a CRT for doing high-quality photo editing is a fallacy.
    All of the LCDs that Apple uses are the highest quality available, and
    some (like the 20" and 23") are part of the only SWOP-certified
    color-accurate soft proofing system around.

    see:

    http://www.apple.com/displays/technology.html

    -Steve

    sjs031, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Michael Sacks

    Böwzér Guest

    There's no such thing at too much computing power, so a decent rule of thumb
    is to buy as much power as you can afford, but to stay one step away from
    the bleeding edge. Buying the absolute latest stuff can sometimes incur a
    huge price premium for a small increase in performance.

    As far as screens go, I'm a heretic, and prefer CRTs over LCD screens. I
    just don't like the way photos look on LCD screens. I haven't seen the
    latest Apple LCDs, though, and they may offer improvements for photo
    editing.

    Böwzér, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Michael Sacks

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Michael Sacks

    Keith Guest

    In your opinion of course.

    Some people see only the cost, others see the value, each to their own I
    guess.

    Keith, Sep 10, 2004
  6. Michael Sacks

    Hunt Guest

    Michael,

    I can't address your question, as I'm only on PC, but before you go out and
    buy new MAC copies of your Adobe software, check out Adobe's platform swap
    program. For the price of an upgrade, they will license the software to the
    new platform. If you have not, say, upgraded to CS yet, DON'T, until you know
    you will be moving to MAC.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 10, 2004
  7. My advice: don't buy one.

    Brian C. Baird, Sep 10, 2004
  8. What operational value does a Macintosh have over a PC? The answer
    (outside of video editing) is none.

    Brian C. Baird, Sep 10, 2004
  9. I think the SWOP certification was given to the previous series of Apple
    Cinema Displays (LCDs). I'm not sure if that also applies to the latest
    series (with brushed aluminum enclosures).

    A bit of caution is in order if you buy one from the new series. There
    are widespread reports of screens with pink/magenta tints. For more
    details see the reports on www.macfixit.com and www.macintouch.com, or
    the user forums at discussions.info.apple.com. I have recently
    installed two 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays. One has the pink tint, the
    other does not. I used a colorimeter (ColorVision Spyder) to build a
    calibration/profile for the monitor with the pink tint, and that
    restored neutral gray tones. But some people are reporting that the
    pink shift continues to worsen as the monitor ages. This issue remains
    unresolved for now.

    Julian Vrieslander, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Michael Sacks

    Nick C Guest

    I have three computers, two Mac's and one PC. Adobe Photoshop is the same on
    either computer. You work the same and you produce the same. I'm not an
    IPOD'er, just not interested, so I can't make a comment on that. If your
    interested in a Mac, here's a new one to hit the market.

    http://www.apple.com/imac/

    Nick C, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Michael Sacks

    Eric Gill Guest

    ?

    There's no need to switch platforms to use an iPod.

    Eric Gill, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Michael Sacks

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Sep 11, 2004
  13. Michael Sacks

    sjs031 Guest

    How about no viruses to worry about? does that have value? I think it
    does.

    -Steve

    sjs031, Sep 11, 2004
  14. There are Mac viruses. No one has exploited any security flaws in OS X,
    but then again, it isn't rocket science to set up a firewall on your PC
    and not click on suspect attachments.

    Brian C. Baird, Sep 11, 2004
  15. Michael Sacks

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I agree.

    A Mac would cost more, and since iPod and Photoshop are both compatible
    with a PC, there would be little benefit, and considerable expense, to
    switching.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 11, 2004
  16. Michael Sacks

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Steve,
    I have used personal computer since 1981. PC compatibles since
    1995. I have had one virus, and that was on a floppy I got from a
    friend about 1986. It was NOT on a PC. My conclusion is that threat of
    virus infection is a 'boogey-man'. Rational operating practices and
    religious updating of OS versions will prevent virus infections,
    whatever type of machine you choose, PC, Unix, or Mac. Carelessness is
    likely to get you a virus/trojan, or loads of spyware.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 11, 2004
  17. Well, maybe not quite identical. Photoshop on the Mac, going back to
    version 2.5 or so at least (my first experience), would show you the
    effect of certain adjustments (e.g. Levels) in real time using the video
    card lookup tables. All of the Windows versions of Photoshop I've used
    (up to PS6, so I'm somewhat out of date) could not do this; you had to
    wait for the program to redraw the screen to see the effect.

    I agree that for *most* operations they're functionally the same.

    Photoshop also has a reputation for using multiple CPUs and special
    instructions on the Mac that few other programs bother to do. Thus, at
    any given point in time, PS may run faster on the Mac than on an equal-
    age PC, even when most benchmarks says that the PC is the faster of the
    two. If you care about speed running Photoshop, look at Photoshop
    benchmarks, not anything else.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 11, 2004
  18. Michael Sacks

    Hunt Guest

    Dave,

    Not to muddy the waters, but my dual-PIII machine with 2GB has done 5 thru CS
    in real time. OTOH, most of my clients use MAC. Depending on the machine's
    setup, they are about equal, with the exception of some of the "pre-press"
    software, that is MAC specific. I'd not urge a person to one platform, or the
    other. Matter of fact, I looked at a dual G-5 when I last built a workstation,
    though having been on PC since the term was coined. Back then, IBM & HP were
    clients of mine. Both platforms run PS flawlessly, if set up for it.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 11, 2004
  19. How about a solid OS that doesn't suck (like XP does)?

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 11, 2004
  20. Michael Sacks

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    Not OS X ones.
    If you're stupid enough to browse the web with IE, then even this
    isn't going to help you.

    Bruce Murphy, Sep 11, 2004