    asking these questions in fact this is my first real PRO camera and I still
    have a lot to learn if I'm not just going to use Fully Automatic ;o)

    Tony

    Ritzy & Tony, May 8, 2005

  2. Ritzy & Tony

    -=ncd=- Guest

    Do you have any idea what sort of budget you are looking to spend?

    -=ncd=-, May 8, 2005

  3. Ritzy & Tony

    eatmorepies Guest

    1. Any L series lens - although you suggest that your budget may be
    restricted, so;

    2. The 28 to 105 f3.5/4.5.

    I'm in the UK and paid £189 for the 28-105. If you stop it down a little
    it's quite sharp.

    Today I took out my new toy, a 70-200mm f2.8 L series lens. Approaching 4
    times the price but worth every penny. At f2.8 it's sharper than the 28-105
    at any apeture. Colours are saturated and contrast is perfect.

    Buy the 28-105 for now and save up for the L series lenses, that way you
    will make the most of your 350D

    John

    eatmorepies, May 8, 2005
  4. Ritzy & Tony

    Ritzy & Tony Guest

    Haven't really given that a lot of thought yet

    Tony

    Ritzy & Tony, May 8, 2005
  5. Ritzy & Tony

    -=ncd=- Guest

    Ok once you have your budget set (this usually more than what you tell your
    other half the item really was) let us know also what sort of photos you
    like taking. Is it a lens that you want to carry around with you whilst on
    holiday etc? Or one that you are going to be using on a tripod?

    -=ncd=-, May 8, 2005
  6. Ritzy & Tony

    ian lincoln Guest

    Canon lenses are usually reliable. It isn't much risk buying second hand.
    28-105 as mentioned will be around £100. Then buy a new 70-300 usm for
    around £150. Nice and cheap second hand if you can get it. I have the
    28-105 usm it is very good. Don't forget to get the f3.5-4.5 not the
    cheaper f4-5.6. Its not just the extra aperture the 5.6 really is crap. If
    budget allows the best consumer lens is the 100-300. It may be a bit long
    on the short end especially on a dslr as it will behave like a 160 to 460mm.
    I recently bought the 70-200F4L. It is the cheaper little brother of the
    F2.8. It has the same optics just not the same maximum aperture so is
    lighter smaller and cheaper to buy. There is also the very big brother
    which is the 2.8 IS. That is an image stabilised lens with the fast
    aperture an typically sells for £1500.

    ian lincoln, May 8, 2005
  7. Ritzy & Tony

    Ritzy & Tony Guest

    OK having thought about it and the bills ;o) I've decided to put to one side
    £150.00 for now.

    And yes its mainly to carry on Holiday, most of my photos are taken either
    on holiday or of our children during the many competitions they are involved
    in which means taking shots in Sports setting as they tend to be action
    shots.

    While on the action/sports theme, I had my first real outing yesterday in a
    badly lit gym which gave an orange colour to the pics, typically I wasn't
    allowed a flash (understandable too). So as I'm still learning I decided to
    use Sport setting and leave it at that but the results were not all that
    good in fact it would seem the shutter was still far to slow as many of the
    shots on fast moving action are blurred. What would you guys have done in
    this situation.

    Tony

    Ritzy & Tony, May 9, 2005
  8. Ritzy & Tony

    Ritzy & Tony Guest

    Sorry I'm going to seem really slow here what do you mean by "stop it down"

    Tony

    Ritzy & Tony, May 9, 2005
  9. Ritzy & Tony

    ian lincoln Guest

    Go to AV mode. Set to widest aperture. select continuous shooting. Select
    servo focusing. take a shot or two so you can calibrate custom white
    balance. Set iso speed manually to 800 or 1600

    ian lincoln, May 9, 2005
  10. Ritzy & Tony

    ian lincoln Guest

    Stop it down means use an aperture smaller than the maximum. The maximum
    size is 3.5. So he is suggesting using 5.6.

    ian lincoln, May 9, 2005