    pick one.

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Luke O'Malley

    CS Guest

    I just got a Plextor at www.newegg.com and it works great.

    http://www.plextor.com/english/products/px-608cu.html

    I've always had the best luck with Plextor optical drives, and I highly
    recommend them.

    This one powers itself completely off the USB ports. You have to plug it in
    to two USB ports, or one USB port and the included AC adapter.

    CS

    CS, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Luke O'Malley

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Agreed - Plextor is certainly one of the best, and Newegg is my favorite
    shopping place.

    Luke, you may want to consider replacing the drive IN your laptop. It's
    usually not hard, and certainly more convenient than packing around an
    external if you want to go somewhere.

    What brand and model of laptop?

    WhzzKdd, Jun 17, 2007
  4. -->
    -->I just got a Plextor at www.newegg.com and it works great.
    -->
    -->http://www.plextor.com/english/products/px-608cu.html
    -->
    -->I've always had the best luck with Plextor optical drives, and I
    -->highly
    -->recommend them.
    -->
    -->This one powers itself completely off the USB ports. You have to
    -->plug it in
    -->to two USB ports, or one USB port and the included AC adapter.
    -->
    -->CS
    -->
    -->-->> Hi!
    -->>
    -->> I am having problems with my laptop drive. Sometimes yes,
    -->sometimes
    -->> no. Anyway, I need an external USB dirve that can read and
    -->write
    -->> CDs & DVDs. Right now my laptop drive, when it works, writes
    -->and
    -->> the blazing speed of 1x!!!
    -->>
    -->> I've seen a number at different vendors but I do not know how to
    -->> pick one.
    -->>
    -->> Goodwill,
    -->> Luke
    -->>
    -->>
    -->
    -->
    -->

    Luke O'Malley, Jun 17, 2007
  5. Luke O'Malley

    doS Guest

    agreed, the NEC from newegg are fab.

    doS, Jun 17, 2007
  6. Luke O'Malley

    CS Guest

    Good call. I did just that with my Dell 4000. Unfortunately, it wouldn't
    read or write at the drive's maximum speed. The drive was actually meant
    for a later, speedier laptop, but it did work very well.

    Usually you can just do an Ebay search by looking for the brand and model of
    laptop. You'd be surprised at the amount of parts that are available.

    CS

    CS, Jun 18, 2007