Advice Request - New machine that can run Win98SE, Win2K / WinXP, and Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I am looking to upgrade my machine in the next few months and I will
    probably look at the corporate auctions (via work).

    Ideally, I would like to pick up something that has specs like the
    following (min is okay, upper is what I would aim for):

    Processor: 1.6 to 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 256 to 512 MB
    FSB: 400 to 800 MHz
    HDD: 40 to 120 GB
    FDD included
    CD / DVD Writer - Speed not really an issue
    Parallel Port
    USB Ports: 3 to 6
    Separate KVM connections.

    My monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer etc are fine, so I would not be
    concerned about them.

    I currently use Woosh, but that may change in the future, but it does
    use USB to connect to the PC so USB is important right now, but I may
    changes to a wired broaband later.

    If I get going with Linux, my current inclination is to use Debian so
    if you need to think of a distro to answer below, then use that as an
    example for now.

    I will probably triple boot using Smart Boot Manager, entirely hiding
    the other OSs from each other (at least in the case of Win98SE - not
    sure about how Win2k and Linux feel about each other).

    Questions:

    1) Can you connect via Woosh using Linux at all? I couldn't see
    anything on their website?

    2) Are there any particular brands of PC that generally work well
    with Linux and / or are particularly bad about working with Linux?

    3) Is there anything else I should be aware of when buying a second
    hand machine that will make it easier to set up Linux down the track?

    4) Is there anything I should have asked here but neglected to??

    Thanks for any and all thoughts.

    I would prefer not to get into any discussion about relative merits of
    the OSs - I *will* be using Win98SE and Win2K / WinXP (depending on
    what licence comes with the PC I buy or I acquire separately) and I do
    intend to try out Debian or other Linux distros too, so relative
    merits are moot.

    Thanks in advance,

    Alan.

    Alan, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Alan

    Chris Hope Guest

    Alan wrote:

    [snip]
    Apparantly it's possible with the roaring penguin client but I never
    managed to make it work. http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

    I have managed to get the Telecom mobile Jetstream card working with
    Linux though (it was actually really easy), but then that's nothing to
    do with Woosh :)
    I'm sure *you* would rather not get into the relative merits of each OS
    but I'm also sure there are others in this group who will discuss them
    anyway ;)

    Chris Hope, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Alan

    -=rjh=- Guest

    An ethernet cable is available for Woosh modems, so once it is setup,
    you shouldn't need USB or drivers. I have a Woosh modem here with both
    cables, but haven't tried it yet.

    HTH

    -=rjh=-, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Dell Servers and Redhat... mostly because the two work together on things.

    Woosh can be run with a network cable, you have to buy it from them if
    memory serves me correctly.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 13, 2005
  5. oh yeah, and Windows 2k or XP would probably be better(than 9x) on the
    machine you are describing.

    For Linux, it depends on what you want it for, if only a windows
    replacement, Xandros/Linspire is great, Mandriva and Redhat/Fedora is good.
    For serving, it depends on what you're doing, but Debian is good.

    Hell, any linux is customisable to what you want, the above is just a
    guide for potential usefulness.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 13, 2005
  6. Alan

    Chris Hope Guest

    It's a special cable with a proprietary connector at one end and they
    rip you off to the tune of $30 for it, or at least that's how much I
    paid back in Sept 03. And as I mentioned my the other post, I never
    managed to make it work on Linux anyway.

    Chris Hope, Jun 13, 2005