    some sort of lamp would be best.

    I only have a fairly basic point-and-shoot Canon, by the way.

    Thanks

    Thump, Mar 20, 2007

  2. Thump

    Matt Ion Guest

    A ringlight is ideal, but good luck finding one for your P&S. You could use a
    light tent, but that may not work well with your camera's built-in flash. Take
    a look at an external flash with a slave trigger, and build a DIY light tent.

    See here for a couple examples of an all-in-one mini slave flash - it triggers
    from your on-camera flash:
    http://tinyurl.com/2vgf9r
    http://tinyurl.com/2w75ly

    (Note: not endorsing or recommending these specific products of vendor, just
    found these as examples of what I was talking about)

    You can google "diy light tent" but here's a good place to start - the "DIY $10
    Macro Photo Studio":
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

    Matt Ion, Mar 20, 2007

  3. Thump

    J. Clarke Guest

    See if there is a white balance adjustment--if there is then that should
    let you adjust the color balance to look better with the flash.

    If there isn't a white balance adjustment, get yourself a copy of
    Photoshop Elements (with the current rebate it's around 30 dollars at
    the Staples down the street from me but may be more than that wherever
    you are) and a copy of Scott Kelby's "Photoshop Elements 5 for Digital
    Photographers" and read up on color correction--it has everything you
    need including a color reference card.

    If you need additional illumination http://www.srelectronics.com/ has a
    variety of ring lights intended for macro photography that can be made
    to work with most digital cameras although if yours doesn't have a
    filter mounting ring some ingenuity may be required in attaching one to
    the camera.

    J. Clarke, Mar 20, 2007