    you have very little more to do than to set the bios to boot from cd...
    then insert your XP cd and go...
    just follow the instructions

    philo, Feb 11, 2006

  2. philo

    SS Guest

    Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website that gives clear
    guidance to a non-teccy like me? I need to completely clear the disk and
    start again (complete clean re-install) but need to split the drive into
    named 'Boot C' 'Restore E' and
    'BackupD' partitions (This is a Medion machine) to make it like it came set
    up. I know the sizes of these partitions and can backup all necessary files
    ont to external drive.

    One thing although I have the manufacturers XP disk there is no floppy drive
    on the computer

    SS, Feb 11, 2006

  3. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In SS spewed forth:
    "And I'm too stupid to go read the replies already given to this question 2
    days ago when I asked it before".

    GO READ THE REPLIES TO YOUR PREVIOUS POST.

    Moron.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 11, 2006
  4. philo

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Feb 12, 2006
  5. philo

    SS Guest

    I would, had I not had a crash and lost all the info. Hence re-post!

    SS, Feb 12, 2006
  6. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In SS spewed forth:
    Your "crash" did not delete anything off Usenet. And your posts/replies are
    still there. Re-posting it was totally unnecessary.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2006
  7. philo

    SS Guest

    I rejoined the newsgroups but only could get recent postings - if i had been
    able to get the messages back i would not have re-posted. I am far from
    knowledgeable on these matters - always seems a bit of a black art as I'm
    not one who spends a lot of time studying the intricacies of computers -
    rather than a means to an end (Mainly digital photography) So APOLOGIES for
    so obviously anoying you judging by the abusive term you used in your
    earlier post, I'm afraid not everyone is so well versed in computers,
    newsgroups etc. If I was I would probably not have needed to ask the
    question in the first place. I did try to repair install and this did not do
    the job, then I tried to follow through a clean install from the disk but
    ended up with 2 boot options and still lots of problems. Then this machine
    (on the internet) crashed and I lost the links (I CAN clean reinstall
    windows 98!!). What can I say I just came here for help but I don't think
    I'll use this newsgroup again.

    SS, Feb 12, 2006
  8. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In
    Rejoined the newsgroups? Then download the messages. They're all there. See
    the big blue number next to the name of the newsgroup? Those are messages
    you haven't downloaded or read yet.

    Or you could go to Google Groups and look up your posts for replies. They
    don't lose anything when your local PC crashes.

    But since you don't want to know about these sort of things, or learn how to
    use Usenet (reply at the BOTTOM), I'll answer your question with a nice
    website that even has pictures for people like you to use to reinsall
    Windows:

    www.windowsreinstall.com

    XP Home is this page:

    http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2006
  9. philo

    SS Guest

    Thank you for that helpful information. I would like to know how to use
    'Usenet' and therefore appreciate all helpful and informative responses. I
    don't think calling someone a moron is helpful or polite or necessary.
    Anyway I would like to thank everyone who gave positive assistance without
    making personal judgements. I would not have posted unless struggling with
    the problem and had already tried sorting it myself. Maybe my newsgroups are
    set up wrong but I couldn't access any previous postings.

    SS, Feb 12, 2006
  10. philo

    SS Guest

    By the way I would say that I did post the question 2 days before but got no
    response hence I posted again. my original post was sometime in January.
    Unfortunately I was unable to access the replies to that. I managed to save
    the OE folders but could not re-import the saved messages when I reloaded
    windows.

    SS, Feb 12, 2006
  11. philo

    SS Guest

    At the risk of being branded a 'Moron' - could I ask what 'top posting' is?
    Then I can avoid it!!

    SS, Feb 12, 2006
  12. Maybe you have it set to "Hide messages already read?" All newsreaders
    have this capability.

    BTW, please don't top-post. Trim quoted material as necessary, then
    reply below it, as I have done here.

    You are allowed to press the PageDown key before replying, even in
    Outlook Express.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 12, 2006
  13. SS, Note that I have rearranged and moved your text DOWN HERE. This is
    not AT THE TOP of the reply.

    When you click on Reply to Newsgroup, and before you type anything,
    press the DOWN ARROW key, and move the insertion point to ...

    HERE.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 13, 2006
  14. philo

    SS Guest

    OK I figured it out shortly after posting the question! However thanks for
    not unleashing a tirade of abuse such as that from margolotta below.
    Unfortunately some people have nothing better to do with their time. Seems
    'top posting' unleashes venom similar to certain 'cartoons' of recent and my
    response is the same - get a life! I think this sort of thing constitutes
    some people's hobby (Sad).

    SS, Feb 13, 2006
  15. There's an old 'vinegar and honey' expression ...
    Top-posting invokes comments because .. well .. this is not email. It is
    said that top-posting began when Outlook Express decided to be a
    newsreader, and placed the insertion point at the top, rather than below
    quoted text. Real newsreaders don't do that.

    The standard Usenet 'netiquette' is to post inline, and to quote the
    previous content, because of the way posts propagate to the thousands of
    news servers around the planet. Regarding quoting, your reply may arrive
    before the one you are replying to, so readers would have no idea what
    you were replying to if you didn't quote. I had to Unhide previously
    read messages to see that you were replying to me.

    And since many Usenauts reads hundreds of posts each day, it makes sense
    not to have to scroll down to see the previous content, then scroll back
    up to see what you said about it. Sorta like:

    open the front cover and begin reading there?
    the back cover and end up at the front or do you
    chapter one or do you start somewhere near
    When reading a book, do you start at

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 13, 2006
  16. philo

    SS Guest

    Fine I understand, though I have been top posting for some time - no more!

    I suppose newsgroups represent the rich tapestry of life in general: There
    are some really nice pleasant helpful people who would rather do you a good
    turn than a bad one and then there are the complete a***holes! C'est La
    Vie!!

    SS, Feb 13, 2006
  17. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In SS spewed forth:
    Then there are those of us who vacillate at high frequencies, solely
    dependant on how the toothache is feeling at the time.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 14, 2006