Advice please - finding replacemnent video card for older computer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Oct 14, 2009.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    Hope some of you experts can help me please.

    An elderly neighbour asked me for assistance with finding a new monitor for
    her computer. On checking I came to the conclusion that the monitor is
    fine, but it looks like the video card is faulty. (I tried a different
    monitor, which behaved the same as her original monitor)

    Computer is HP Pavilion A1240a - about 3 years old. Video output varies in
    intensity, fades away, sometimes dies away altogether (video output faulty,
    even when windows is not running and in bios setup mode).

    Have checked the obvious (to me) things like leads, re-seating video card

    On examining the video card I found that one of the two locating pins for
    the heat sink on the card wasn't locked into the board and was loose - so
    the heat sink was angled, and touching the chip underneath only on the edge
    instead of flat on the back. I locked the pin into place, but it didn't

    Looks like the card may have overheated, and perhaps this caused the fault?

    What I would like to do is plug a good video card in, and see if this fixes
    the problem, but I don't know where I would be able to borrow one locally.

    Had a quick look on trademe - lots of video cards listed, so it looks like
    I could probably buy a plain vanilla card fairly cheaply to try out, but I
    don't know how to tell which cards would suit this computer.

    The HP specs for this machine say that the card is a Nvidia Gforce 6200 SE
    with PCIE interface.

    Does PCIE refer to the slot the card plugs into? and would this be the same
    as just PCI?

    If I buy one from trademe I would like to get one of a well known brand,
    so that I can find the right drivers for it.

    So, what do I need to look for to make sure I buy something suitable for
    this machine?

    And is there likely to be something proprietary about the HP computer which
    prevents some vanilla type of card working properly in this machine.

    I don't want to spend too much for this lady on the off-chance that it will
    fix the problem, but willing to take a punt if I can get something to try
    for a few dollars.

    Any useful advice on locating a suitable card would be welcome.

    Also, maybe there are other things I could try, to diagnose if it is a
    faulty video card, or some other problem.


    John S
    John S, Oct 14, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. John S

    Mary Hanna Guest

    No you will need PCIE card..
    Note: you need to know what Memory that is on the card and also there are
    plenty of listed AGP version that will not work

    You could go upto a GF 6600 PCIE

    the 6200SE could mean that its a low end card, ot may be a better one SE=
    Special Edition..??

    Plus what type of monitor connection VGA or DVI, not all cards have the DVI

    Note: this is a older card..
    Mary Hanna, Oct 14, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  3. John S

    EMB Guest

    OK - you need a card with a PCI-E interface (AKA PCI-Express).
    Yes it does, and no it isn't the same as PCI
    Just buy new for the lack of hassle. Something like
    Do you need a low profile card? Does the card require an extra power
    connector (and if so has the machine got one)?
    Highly unlikely.
    Go to DSE, buy a XH9790 (at 2.5 times the price it can be got for
    elsewhere), if it solves the problem return it under their money back
    guarantee promise and buy what I suggest above.
    EMB, Oct 14, 2009
  4. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I doubt that it needs a power connection, the 6200SE was the least powerful
    card of the GeForce 6xxx range that nVidia made. About as powerful as most
    on-board graphics. In fact most of them were passive-cooled. However I've
    been wrong before...

    Agreed. I would however stick with nVidia. Chances are you won't even need
    to update the driver.
    Yeah, that's something I've done before too. Probably part of the reason
    that their prices *are* high....

    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2009
  5. John S

    John S Guest

    Thanks for the hints.

    The original card has VGA, s-video and Composite video outlets, but she
    only needs the VGA.

    Interesting that the DSE price is $150 and the same item at PB Tech is $68.

    In the meantime, turns out that the lady has a nephew in Auckland (I'm in
    Whakatane) who reckons he can get a suitable replacement for her.

    So, I'll do nothing for the moment. If he comes up with a video card,
    guess I'll fit it for her.

    Thanks again for the response (and to Woger too :).


    John S
    John S, Oct 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.