Advice Please CD and DVD Drives Gone AWOL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paul Carter, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Paul Carter

    Paul Carter Guest

    Any and all helpful suggestions welcome.

    My system was working fine until yesterday when both my CD writer and DVD writer
    disappeared! The system is a bit of a mish mash of things I've added over the
    years, it has three Hard Drives of various sizes, 2 IDE and 1 SATA, an AMD Duron
    1.1 chip and a MSI motherboard. The case, motherboard and chip are about 4
    years old. Running Windows XP Pro, but I don't think that matters, as the
    missing drives no longer appear in the BIOS .

    I have also noticed that I've lost half my memory, I used to have 512mb, now
    have only 248.

    Any suggestions as to how to recalim my missing drives and memory?

    I'm not sure where to start looking.

    Thanks.

    Paul

    Paul Carter, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Paul Carter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'd turn it off at the wall and remove and reseat the RAM and IDE cables (at
    both ends) and hope that it fixes it. Support the board a bit when
    re-seating as they can flex a bit. If you have more money than I do, get
    some CO cleaner from DSE (or somewhere) and spray it into the RAM slots when
    you have the RAM out. (My CO cleaner is just about empty. <sigh>)

    Good luck, post back if that doesn't help. Fingers crossed that it isn't due
    to component failure.

    ~misfit~, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Sony may have rootkitted you ... have a look at
    http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=924

    Mark Robinson, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Paul Carter

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    There's also Starforce which is being used by a lot of game developers......
    it's NASTY! Does the same sort of crap as Sony does.

    Starforce's website has a forum running, and oh boy! Does it get a hammering
    from pissed off people, where it's breaking DVD/CD drives! Their support is
    considered quite rude, with comments like "DRM is here to stay, get used to
    it!" and locking of forum threads when they start losing.... LMAO

    --

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    "Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"

    Mark Remfrey, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Paul Carter

    Paul Carter Guest

    Thanks for this. I've unplugged the RAM and cables, then re plugged them.

    Good news, the CD and DVD drives came back.

    Bad news, now they have gone again. They seem to come and go randomly at the
    moment. When they appear they work fine. What part of the system could be
    causing this? It seems that something is going to fail permanently soon. Any
    ideas what?

    Paul

    Paul Carter, Dec 9, 2005
  6. Paul Carter

    Bret Guest

    Check your caps for goo.

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

    Bret, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Paul Carter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Good advice. I was hoping we wouldn't have to go there but was prepared for
    it. Hence the "post back" comment.

    Did the RAM come back?

    Do you have another IDE cable you can try? I'd take off, then put back on,
    the jumpers for master/slave on the drives too, oxidation over time can
    cause them to lose a bit of contact. (Also, it gives you a chance to check
    that they're jumpered correctly, with the master at the end of the cable).

    Also check the Molex (power) plugs into the drives. If any is sharing with a
    case fan make sure that one of the pins hasn't pushed back, causing
    intermittent contact.

    Good luck, be sure to get back to us.

    ~misfit~, Dec 10, 2005
  8. Paul Carter

    smf Guest

    thats exactly what i was gonna say .....
    caps are ready to, or are starting to lose their integrity.
    A few MSI boards have had this problem -

    smf, Dec 10, 2005
  9. Paul Carter

    Rob J Guest

    Including ones made for other companies like IBM

    Rob J, Dec 10, 2005
  10. Paul Carter

    Menoeceus Guest

    The motherboard, capacitors.

    Menoeceus, Dec 10, 2005
  11. Paul Carter

    Paul Carter Guest

    Thanks for the reply, but that's not the answer.
    I never trust anything that wants to install it's own player/software.

    Paul

    Paul Carter, Dec 10, 2005
  12. Paul Carter

    Paul Carter Guest

    Damn, can I get them replaced?

    Or, as the board and chip are about 4 years old, am I better off replacing the
    board with a new one?

    Paul

    Paul Carter, Dec 10, 2005
  13. Paul Carter

    Bret Guest

    You can, the consensus here seems to be: If you can do it yourself or
    have an experienced friend it's worth a try, otherwise it will be very
    expensive.
    Yes, you may be able to get a socket A board new that will take your
    1100, I would recomend a new mobo and processor + ram if needed.

    Bret, Dec 10, 2005
  14. Paul Carter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    So the caps are to blame? You have a habit of writing short posts. :) Can
    you see signs of swelling/bulging or leaking?

    I've replaced caps on a couple of boards with good results. However, getting
    the caps can be problematic if you don't live in a big city and/or have a
    credit card. If you had to pay someone to do it, as Bret said, then it
    certainly wouldn't be worth it.
    I'm guessing that your RAM is 168 pin SDRAM? In that case I seriously doubt
    you'll find a board new that will take it so include replacing RAM in that
    equation. The good thing is that, although they are getting hard to find,
    socket A boards can be had for well under $100. Add 512MB RAM again for
    under $100 and that CPU will go faster than it ever did. Of course, you can
    always upgrade the CPU now (or later, with a second-hand one) as Socket A
    CPUs are going (have gone?) out of production.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 11, 2005
  15. Paul Carter

    Paul Carter Guest

    There appears to be no visible sign of the capacitors deteriorating, however I'm
    not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Also the board has a fair amount of dust
    on it, making visual inspection more difficult. All the symptoms would seem to
    indicate this to be the most likely source of my troubles.

    Sorry if the brief posts are a problem, but I'm really out of my depth with
    hardware issues like this. Let me play with a new piece of software and I'm
    quite happy.
    Big city, no. Credit card, yes. I would say that replacing a capacitor would
    be beyond my abilities.
    The board has 2 x 184 pin DDR SDRAM slots. If that helps. I've currently got 2
    x 256MB modules in place, and when I'm lucky the machine will recoginse both!
    Thanks for all this.

    Paul

    Paul Carter, Dec 11, 2005