    Rich Guest

    There are only two worth considering. The Canon Powershot G11and the
    Panasonic LX3.

    Rich, Aug 15, 2010

  2. Nick

    Ofnuts Guest

    VF that aren't settable always focus at infinite, so they are usable
    without glasses by far-sighted and presbyopic people.

    And when I said "a correctly set VF is usable without glasses", this was
    in light of the many settable VF (or binoculars) I have come across and
    found incorrectly set.

    Ofnuts, Aug 15, 2010

  3. Nick

    Ofnuts Guest

    I know... but obviously a lot of people don't.

    Ofnuts, Aug 15, 2010
  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Blimey,

    my sincere thanks to each and all for sound advice and wisdom.
    I had not meant to open a can of worms, but have really enjoyed reading this
    thread.

    Tomorrow, my better half and I will go looking for a camera. We are now
    somewhat better equipped to do so.

    Having read the thread, I might also go for some new *specs*.

    I've been using cameras for 50 years. Pentax for most of that time. Latterly
    Nikon and more recently Canon, plus a few others in between.
    Both Pentax and Nikon used to make excellent conventional cameras, I loved
    them.
    Tried Nikon digicams a few years back and liked them very much, particularly
    the rotational body.
    Times move on, I'm now using Canon and am pleased with it.

    Thanks again and my apologies if I may have awoken the trolls.

    Nick.
    England.

    *specs = glasses / spectacles

    Nick, Aug 15, 2010
  5. Nick

    Peter Guest

    Which goes back to proper professional fitting. Not all frames fit all
    faces.
    I've heard him tell people that a particular frame won't work right for them
    and that he would not sell her that frame.

    Peter, Aug 16, 2010
  6. Nick

    OG Guest

    Maybe on your side of the pond - here in UK they are known as varifocal.
    To agree with Peter, if they are prescribed and fitted properly, they can
    probably work better for most people.

    To agree with you - you would need to tilt your head back this is what you
    have to do to view a hand held camera EV held at eye level.

    For myself, here in UK the additional cost of varifocal over bifocal need
    not be great.

    OG, Aug 16, 2010
  7. Nick

    LOL! Guest

    Oh, but it is FAR FAR more entertaining watching you role-playing
    pretend-photographer trolls who have never even owned a camera trip,
    stumble, and fall with your DSLR-crippling delusions, time and time again.

    The best advice you know about them is to tell someone to go the store, eh?
    WOW! What an overwhelming amount of experience that you have about cameras,
    you pretend-photographer TROLL.

    LOL!

    LOL!, Aug 16, 2010
  8. Nick

    Ofnuts Guest

    Yes, meeting real people, or even the real world. How gross.

    Ofnuts, Aug 16, 2010
  9. Mine are if I slide them up and down my nose. That's why I don't need
    bifocals.

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 17, 2010
  10. Nick

    Scotius Guest

    Good, then by all means don't.

    Scotius, Aug 19, 2010
  11. It changes the focus of the effective compound lens formed by
    spectacle lens and eye lens, which is what matters. Try it and
    see. Very common strategy among those with the kind of lenses and
    noses which permit it to work, although it upsets some opticians for
    reasons they're never able to explain clearly.

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 28, 2010
  12. Surprisingly, my optician was 100% happy with the sliding down the nose
    solution, which rather surprised me!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 28, 2010