    distance, but I work on the computer not wearing glasses. I wear
    glasses when using my Nikon dslr and viewing through the VF. I don't
    use a p&s, but my wife has a Canon.

    tony cooper, Aug 15, 2010

  2. But what's a discussion thread without the ROLE-PLAYING
    PRETEND-PHOTOGRAPHER DSLR-TROLLS hijacking another one off-topic instead of
    actually answering the questions posed? The(ir) world would come to an end.

    Superzooms Still Win, Aug 15, 2010

  3. Nick

    tony cooper Guest

    As you did? Where?

    tony cooper, Aug 15, 2010
  4. Nick

    LOL! Guest

    And yet, someone was stupid enough to allow you to carry a gun and continue
    to carry a gun.

    LOL!

    This newsgroup is more laughs than Comedy Central.

    LOL!

    Carry on! You silly off-topic thread-hijacking DSLR TROLLS.

    LOL!

    LOL!, Aug 15, 2010
  5. Nick

    ray Guest

    It most certainly could. I'm not walking around when I'm viewing the
    monitor, now am I? If I use glasses when I'm walking around, there goes
    the distance vision. I prefer to retain my distance vision and still be
    able to take pictures.
    So why don't you use a back panel LCD without glasses?

    ray, Aug 15, 2010
  6. Nick

    tony cooper Guest

    I'm not sure I understand your question. For distances up to three or
    four feet my vision is better without my bifocal glasses. I don't
    wear glasses to view my computer monitor or to read.

    I need glasses for middle- and far-distance viewing. The only
    problem I have is finding my glasses when I leave the computer. If I
    put them down over three or four feet from where I'm sitting,
    everything is fuzzy.

    tony cooper, Aug 15, 2010
  7. I'll second the Canon S90 recommendation. It has a very good sensor, a
    good lens, small size, has pretty simple controls, and has Canon's
    latest (I think) firmware.

    Although the camera is capable of shooting in RAW, it can be set to
    shoot jpegs. I found it one of the most flexible P&S cameras I have used.

    But the most important attribute any camera must have is that it fite in
    the photographer's hand & the controls are east to reach. Most of the
    differences between cameras of the same type are cosmetic or minor
    tweaks that can be used in sales literature. If your wife's hands are
    too small or too large to comfortably hold and operate a specific
    camera, then that camera isn't the one to choose. Try out as many as
    possible!

    Hope this helps

    Attila Jozsef, Aug 15, 2010
  8. Nick

    Ofnuts Guest

    Same here.

    Ofnuts, Aug 15, 2010
  9. Nick

    Ofnuts Guest

    1) spot the subject around you, then aim and shoot. The "aim" sequence
    is lengthened if you have to fumble in your pockets to find that $°à+
    pair of glasses.

    2) aim with both eyes open, one in the VF and the other one outside
    (gets a "wider" look at the scene).

    Ofnuts, Aug 15, 2010
  10. Nick

    J. Clarke Guest

    If your near vision is that bad you need to be wearing bifocals anyway.
    How do you see the speedometer when you drive, or do you just drive
    any old speed that you feel like, planning to use the senility defense?
    Maybe if you hold the camera vertical.

    J. Clarke, Aug 15, 2010
  11. Nick

    Peter Guest

    Both my wife and I went to the same optician, who properly fitted them.
    Neither of us has had issues such as you describe.
    I know others have had those issues and it all traced back to poor fitting.
    When they went to a non-discount, non-chan optician, for most of them the
    progressive issues disappeared.

    Peter, Aug 15, 2010
  12. Nick

    Peter Guest

    Even on a bright sunny day?

    Peter, Aug 15, 2010
  13. Nick

    ray Guest

    What I'm still trying to figure out is how this discussion got so far off
    base. I presented what MAY be an issue for the OP - didn't even say it
    HAD to be.

    ray, Aug 15, 2010
  14. Nick

    Peter Guest

    Good!

    Peter, Aug 15, 2010
  15. Nick

    Peter Guest

    Why are any of us not surprised.

    Peter, Aug 15, 2010
  16. Nick

    Ofnuts Guest

    My near-vision isn't that bad for someone my age. My far vision is still
    near perfect. If I needed to use bifocals everyone over 50 would have
    to. In my car the speedometer has big numbers... and anyway I have a
    wife for this :) On my motorcycle the speedometer is sufficiently far.
    No, horizontal, even on my bulky DSLR (450D):

    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupillary_distance
    - distance from center of VF to left side of body: 4.5cm.

    Only youg children have their left eye obscured by the camera body.

    Ofnuts, Aug 15, 2010
  17. Nick

    tony cooper Guest

    Yes. Certainly the screen is less visible, or completely blanked out
    in bright sunlight, but - remember - we are talking about a camera
    recommendation for an older lady for holiday snapshots.

    I've used my wife's p&s in bright sunlight and always found a way to
    either shade the screen or turn or tilt to reduce the glare.
    Sometimes just shooting blindly captures the scene quite adequately.

    When offering a recommendation, the end use - the typical application
    - should be taken into account. An older lady taking holiday snaps is
    going to be less bothered by screen glare than other people might be.
    She's going to be photographing husband George standing next to the
    famous fountain in the square and can move around until the screen is
    reasonably visible in the conditions. She's not even going to notice
    that a large trash receptacle is in the background.

    She may miss a photo or two, but she'll also cut off the head of
    husband George when the screen is perfectly visible.

    These threads tend to morph into discussions that don't take into
    account the original poster's question. They end up discussing
    factors that wouldn't be of any importance to the original poster.
    I try to stay on point to the original post.

    tony cooper, Aug 15, 2010
  18. Nick

    tony cooper Guest

    Of course it does. The poster speaks of a "correctly set VF" which
    means one that can be set. Not all VFs can be set.

    tony cooper, Aug 15, 2010
  19. Nick

    SMS Guest

    For a "purse" camera, the Canon G11.

    For a pocket camera, look for a used Canon SD800 IS.

    SMS, Aug 15, 2010
  20. Nick

    SMS Guest

    Very true, but very few pocket cameras still have optical viewfinders.
    Guess for a pocket camera, the SD1200IS would be fine, for a purse
    camera the G11.

    I like my SD800IS, the only pocket camera with both an optical
    viewfinder _and_ a wide angle lens. Plus they did not go meagpixel crazy
    so noise levels are acceptable. Discontinued of course, and fetching
    high prices on the used market.

    SMS, Aug 15, 2010