    a guess login apparently isn't enough.

    Thanks

    Ron

    Ron, May 24, 2005

  2. Ron

    Foad Guest

    Ron, i feel your pain... We buy alot of our cisco items from CDW, you
    probably don't have a sales rep, as mine usually does all the leg
    work... but what i've learned with cisco and smartnets is that once you
    buy one, even the cheapest version, you register it through cisco and
    then get a CCO log-on, it's only as good as long as the smartnet is
    valid.

    HTH's

    AL

    Foad, May 24, 2005

  3. :Over 400 different Smartnet packages on CDW.

    Slackers ;-)

    There are over 20000 Cisco support contracts.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/0f034dd2629e5d4d

    :Sheesh, whoever
    :>is in charge of marketing at Cisco needs to wake up.

    :Any advice on which package to get? Is there such a thing as getting
    :telephone or email support on legacy equipment, like for configuration
    :problems.

    Depends on how legacy. If you look at the End of Sale notice,
    you will find that one of the dates listed is the last date to create
    a new support contract on the equipment. (The last date supported
    for those with existing contracts is usually a few years after that.)

    After the "last new contract" date, you can't get new support
    on the product, at least not from Cisco. Though of course if you
    have a few million dollars floating around, support is negotiable.

    :I'd also like to be able to follow links from places like
    :the Cisco forums where people post links that lead to CCO for which
    :a guess login apparently isn't enough.

    Find the cheapest Cisco device for which a contract is available,
    buy it and the least expensive contract that gives you CCO access.
    Once you are on CCO, there are no restrictions about where you
    can look -- for example, if you bought a SOHO71 contract then you can
    still look at the GSR12000 support pages.

    Walter Roberson, May 24, 2005
  4. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Appreciate the replies.

    There's just no excuse for this being so complicated, all we need is
    some occasional help with a configuration issue. I can do most of what
    I need on freebsd with 2 nics and dot1q vlans. I'd rather spend my
    time becoming proficient with that than wasting my time trying to
    understand all this Cisco legal mumbo jumbo and categorical BS.
    I look for them to go the way of GM.

    -

    Ron, May 25, 2005
  5. Ron

    Hansang Bae Guest

    To be fair, they have a few categories. 7x24, Next Bus Day, 7X24 parts
    only, NBD parts only, 7x24 onsite tech support, etc. Now multiply that
    by every device Cisco sells. You get the picture.

    The release notes actually tell you what "class" applies to the
    particular hardware. Once you buy one, you get the hang of it.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, May 25, 2005