Advice on new Camera please!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Simon, May 7, 2007.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hi there,

    I've been using a Canon Powershot A300 for a few years now, and while
    it's served me well - it's time to get a little more up to date!

    Here's my list of requirements - I'd be grteful for any adive on the
    best model in my price range (from about £50 up to £120)

    1. Mpixel size anything from 5 and up - as long as it's decent quality
    i'm happy.
    2. Good indoor shots - again, my A300 is poor at this - most indoor
    shots use the flash and the subjects face is bright but the rest of
    the room is dim...
    3. Movie mode - the Canon A300 is OK at this - I'd like to keep this
    feature on my new camera.
    4. Ability to take photo's quickly - this is one of the most
    frustrating failing of my current camera - it takes a few seconds to
    get a shot sometimes - and the speed my kids move I've usually missed
    the funny / cute event!

    Optical zoom would be nice by not critical -and easy to use would be
    good!

    I hope someone can help - there's so much out there it would take me
    days to form an opinion on the right camera for me!

    Thanks in advance!

    Simon

    Simon, May 7, 2007

  2. Hey Simon
    I recently purchased a camera that sounds like what you are
    looking for... I purchased a Kodak Z710 . I have had this camera for
    about a month and a half , and have yet to be disapointed with the
    results. Just a side note... I have a friend who teaches Photography
    in a college Lawenforcement class... He saw mine and went the same
    night and purchased one for himself... ( also have a couple of other
    associates of mine that did the same...) I guess my point is... its
    worth looking at... If you have any questions please write me at

    Scott

    Ghosthunter1013, May 7, 2007

  3. Simon

    Marvin Guest

    my wide recently got a Canon Powershot A550 to replace her
    Olympus camera. She selected it because it is small enough
    to carry in her purse, and it has a viewfinder - which only
    a few digicams now have, She likes it a lot. If you've
    been happy with your Canon, you could do well to stick with
    the brand. This Canon camera now costs about $200 in the US;
    I don;t know the price in the UK.

    Last year, I got a Panasonic DMC-LZ3. One reason I chose it
    is the image stabilizer. It also has a very nice movie
    mode. which is something you mentioned. It also costs about
    $200 in the US, which I think is a good price, considering
    that it is a Leica in disguise.

    Marvin, May 8, 2007
  4. Simon

    John Ortt Guest

    Ask yourself why you want to upgrade Simon?

    3 Megapixel should produce perfectly adequate standard prints, do you print
    many pictures in A4 size or larger?

    Considdering your budget, I don't think you will be happy with any of the
    point and shoot (P&S) cameras available.

    P&S cameras have always been poor at indoor shots and quick succession and I
    don't think the current crop (particularly in the sub £150 price band) have
    addressed this.

    My advice would be to wait until the A300 breaks and / or save a little bit
    more and buy a second-hand Canon 300D (Rebel) SLR and the EF50mm f1.8 Mk2
    lens to go on it.

    Both combined will cost less than £200 and the combination will blow any
    point and shoot out of the water based on your requirements.

    (Of course there will be an equivalent Nikkon combination (but I'm afraid I
    don't know it) and as you already own a Canon I figured you must like them
    :)

    Hope that helps,

    John

    John Ortt, May 8, 2007
  5. I too have been a happy user of a Canon A300. Impressive quality of
    images, but the two things that annoyed me most were the lack of full
    manual control and the lack of zoom. I didn't think I needed more than
    3MP because they were capable of producing A4 prints on which only a
    very close scrutiny could detect pixellation effects.

    So I decided a Canon Powershot S1 IS was the logical upgrade.

    H'ever, while looking for a good second hand one, I was seduced by a
    second hand Sony DSC-R1, less facilities (e.g. no video), but much
    higher quality images. It's not the same kind of upgrade because it's
    a big heavy camera you can't just throw in a pocket in case.

    By the way, it is possible to get much better interior flash photos
    with the A300. What you need is a big powerful remote flash doing say
    a ceiling bounce, and triggering it with the flash from the Canon, if
    necessary shading the Canon flash so it isn't front lighting your
    subject.

    Chris Malcolm, May 14, 2007