    device to scan from my negatives instead from the printed image.

    Thanks in advance for any advice

    John

    John Martin, Dec 27, 2003

  2. John Martin

    Ron Recer Guest

    From: "John Martin"
    Everyone will probably have their own idea of what is best. I have scanned
    some old photos and documents and after some experimenting decided to scan at
    400 dpi and save the files as TIFFs. This seemed best for my situation.

    You should scan at enough dpi so that you can print at 200-300 dpi even if you
    decide to crop/enlarge the image. TIFF files will allow you to save modified
    images without loss of detail. If you want to send an image over the intenet
    you can always reduce the image size and/or resave it in a compressed format
    such a JPEG.

    Try scanning a photo at different resolutions and printing them to determine
    what is best for your need.
    Almost any of today's printers will produce good results. It all depends on
    how critical you want to be of the finished product.

    Ron
    Mercedes, TX

    Ron Recer, Dec 27, 2003