Advice on file sizes and suitable printers please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Martin, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. John Martin

    John Martin Guest

    Being relatively new to the world of digital photos and computers could
    anyone advise me please?

    I have several years worth of printed photos (and their negatives) which I
    would like to scan onto my PC. I understand that if I put pictures onto the
    net then they ought to be about 72 dpi but if I want to print them they need
    to be 240-300 dpi. Is my understanding correct and what is the best way to
    achieve this?

    Secondly can anyone recommend a suitable printer capable of printing decent
    photos as well as the wife's letters etc. Also I'm looking for a suitable
    device to scan from my negatives instead from the printed image.

    Thanks in advance for any advice

    John Martin, Dec 27, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. John Martin

    Ron Recer Guest

    From: "John Martin"
    Everyone will probably have their own idea of what is best. I have scanned
    some old photos and documents and after some experimenting decided to scan at
    400 dpi and save the files as TIFFs. This seemed best for my situation.

    You should scan at enough dpi so that you can print at 200-300 dpi even if you
    decide to crop/enlarge the image. TIFF files will allow you to save modified
    images without loss of detail. If you want to send an image over the intenet
    you can always reduce the image size and/or resave it in a compressed format
    such a JPEG.

    Try scanning a photo at different resolutions and printing them to determine
    what is best for your need.
    Almost any of today's printers will produce good results. It all depends on
    how critical you want to be of the finished product.

    Mercedes, TX
    Ron Recer, Dec 27, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.