    Any advice, comments please.

    Thanks in advance,
    Keith

    Keith, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Keith

    E. Scrooge Guest

    For your needs the cheap Dell PC should be fine. It should be capable of
    handling any digital photos you might choose to do on it as well. You'd
    only need some more grunt (more RAM and good video card) if you should plan
    to make any videos on it.
    Depending on what you're using a cheap Dell could be quite a step up, and
    the 17" monitor should make a big difference.
    Athlons are just as reliable as Intel, it comes down to choice more than
    anything else. The new Celerons should offer more grunt than the older ones
    do, it's big range that's been around for a while now.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 14, 2004

  3. Keith

    Dangermouse Guest

    Steer away from Intel Celerons...they are pretty lousy and severely held
    back (bus speed, cache etc).

    If you're after a bargain chip, you cannot really beat an
    AthlonXP...excellent value and performance for the price.

    Deciding between an Intel P4 or AthlonXP is really a matter of personal
    choice. Not much difference in them between a) P4 is more expensive but b)
    P4 is better for media encoding etc.

    If all you want is a email / word processing machine, an AthlonXP would do
    the job fine.

    Dangermouse, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Actually, if you only want them for that, an old P3 would likely be
    fine, as would a Celeron.

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Keith

    E. Scrooge Guest

    What a lot of crap. There's no need to own a Ferrari (apart from the looks
    and to say you've got one) if you only plan to use the thing for every day
    little shopping drives around town.

    Email and word processing can be done just as easily on an old computer from
    around Pentium 200 and up.
    If he wants a nice new computer that offers more than the top range
    computers of 5 years ago ever did, then he can easily have it and all for
    only a thousand bucks. The budget computer of today isn't the gutless
    wonder that the budget compters were a few years ago that only had 64MB
    RAM - shared. Celerons have been used and still are being used in laptops
    for many years. The first Celeron would be quite different from the latest
    Celeron of today, just as the first P4 is quite different from the latest P4
    of today (it's not even in the same league for someone that needs all the
    grunt that they can get).
    With you choosing to use Xtra can only mean that you don't know what's best
    for you for a start, and here you are going on about needing an ATHLON just
    to send emails and to do some word processing with. How did you ever manage
    to do such things around 8 years ago?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Keith

    Chris Guest

    If you are refering to the cheap $999 Dell's from the Wharehouse there was
    a thread on those in this Newsgroup which cast doubt on upgrading paths (no
    AGP slot was one issue I believe)

    Chris, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Keith

    Chris Guest

    Why not have a look at some Dell's as they often have some special deals
    going (something about $200 off if you order online at the moment) The
    $999 Dell computers at the Wharehouse will be "OK" for what you want but
    don't expect to much, after all your only paying $999. Take a look at:

    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=nz&l=en&s=dhs

    Maybe consider an LCD display ? takes up much less space than a CRT and
    easy on the eyes.

    Chris, Feb 15, 2004
  8. Given this statement ANY new pc with enougth ram will be more than fast enough.
    The 1st ever Celerons were dogs but are now more than fast enough for what u want.
    AMD Athlon are the same price as Celeron & much faster for the same price.
    Some of the printers bundled with PC's arent very good & aahve very expensive ink carts.

    Think about a 3 year warranty, dont bya PC that you have to pay extra for a 3 year warranty
    You may have to add $100 for Antivirus program.
    If you want Office, if you buy it with the PC its alot cheaper(OEM version) but it can NEVER
    be used on another PC (part of the OEM licence agreement)

    The big name brands often use non standard parts (floopies, power supplies & occasionly RAM)
    If (say) a power supplies fails after warranty & its non standard you may find its
    become non replaceable (as with HP & some Celeron PC's) or you may be made to
    wait 3 months for the power supply to arrive (again HP, no excuse for this as overnight
    couriers are available from any country.)

    Personally I would avoid HP Pavillions & Acer. HP business PC's are great (D330? etc)

    Steve Robertson, Feb 15, 2004
  9. Keith

    Crash Guest

    A slightly different angle to consider is is just how long your choice will
    last. The temptation when you have such basic needs is to buy something
    with a slower processor and memory speeds to reduce costs - after all you
    dont need the fastest.

    When you eventually need to move to a later OS release (perhaps in 5 years
    time) then if you buy a reasonable spec box now it may run the new OS and
    last a few more years - but if you buy a low-spec box now you may be faced
    with the need to upgrade processor and/or memory along with the OS.

    Crash, Feb 15, 2004
  10. Keith

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I think that if the OP isn't interested in upgrading what he already has
    then he's not likely to want upgrade his new one either.

    ~misfit~, Feb 15, 2004
  11. Keith

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Well, even though it is a Packard Bell, I thought the new PC with a
    laptop deal was a really good value. I think it was from Bond and Bond?
    I own a Toshiba laptop and am very happy with it, for whatever that is
    worth.
    If I were you, though, I would buy the cheapest new PC that has a one
    month warrantee, and comes with XP or some kind of free linux, with Open
    Office. I would run Burn BX for a day, and I would run something like
    Quake Arena Demo for another day. The point is to abuse the new box with
    stress tests while it is under warrantee. If it lasts the first month,
    it will GENERALLY last for years. For just email and surfing, anything
    new on the shelf is overkill IMHO.
    What do you have now that you need to upgrade? Have you considered just
    doing a clean install of the current OS? I have seen people throw away
    boxes that can do email and surfing, not knowing that they could be
    useful to others, or how to get them to someone who could use them.
    Anyways, there is my 2C
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 15, 2004
  12. Keith

    Chris Guest

    My comments were in the context of Mr. Scrooge's upgrade comments. Try not
    to take my comments out of context or post your comments in the right place
    thanks

    Chris, Feb 15, 2004
  13. Keith

    Dangermouse Guest

    8 years ago, I did everything on an Amiga 4000/060.

    Besides, you can EASILY build an Athlon XP for the same price as a Celeron
    (yes, WAY LESS than $1000 before you ask) so why buy the Skoda when you can
    have the Ferrari. OR, being as you started the abuse, are you one of those
    morons dumb enough to buy a Celeron because you think you are getting a
    'cheap' PC. Get real....buy the Athlon for the same money and you get WAY
    more bang for the buck.

    So stick your unresearched comments where the sun doesn't shine my friend.
    Now....as I apparently 'don't know what''s best for me', you'll now proceed
    to attempt to inform the newsgroup that a 386 was way ahead of an Amiga
    4000/060 and you know that because I am on Xtra and you (I can't be arsed to
    look) aren't.

    Marvellous reasoning by the way..... I didn't realise you could discover a
    person's computer knowledge simply by their choice of IP.

    Dangermouse, Feb 15, 2004
  14. Keith

    Dangermouse Guest

    And just to do a bit of research for you, I pulled these prices straight off
    an Auckland retailers website (not mine).

    AthlonXP 2400+ - $163
    Intel Celeron 2.2GHz - $166.78

    Following your theory, we should all run off and buy the Celeron cause it's
    'cheap'....LMFAO

    Case made

    Dangermouse, Feb 15, 2004
  15. Keith

    E. Scrooge Guest

    You've got a real reading problem. The guy is after a complete system
    that's fully guaranteed, not some DIY kitset job where each part has it's
    own warranty and hassles to go with it.

    If you go mail order you take any hassles that go with it.

    So show where he can get an Athlon XP 2400 system with 17" monitor and
    everything else that comes with the usual Celeron budget DELL computer all
    for your super special price of $163!

    Of course $163 if your CPU for your nasty little kitset job.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 15, 2004
  16. Keith

    E. Scrooge Guest

    I've seen that thread, and that's quite fair enough if the guy hopes to push
    it along trying to get the very best graphics out of the latest games. In
    this case he is not wanting it for any heavy applications otherwise he would
    be better off with a mild monster that will soon be out of date as far as
    top end stuff goes anyway.
    The Warehouse Dell had an option to select either 32MB or 64MB for graphics,
    more than good enough for basic to moderate things for what it is.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 15, 2004
  17. Keith

    E. Scrooge Guest

    You poor bugger. No wonder such a shocking experience has made you all
    bitter and twisted. Probably stuffed your eyesight as well since you can't
    understand the guys basic needs.

    If you want grunt you shove your basic Athon up your arse, sonny. Since you
    like all that you can get, you might as well got for an Athlon 64 bit.
    Too bad that you don't have to go to school 7 days a week, sonny.

    What can't you understand about doing emails and some word processing that
    you think needs as much power as possible to be able to do such basic tasks?
    A Pentium 200 will do what he wants, won't be brand new with 17" mon. os
    course though.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 15, 2004
  18. Keith

    Dangermouse Guest

    That's an assumption. The original post makes no reference to a fully
    guaranteed (as in one guarantee covers all parts) system. Reread the post to
    verify this is correct (if you can read)
    Who said anything about mail order....that's twice now you've made stuff up
    and you think I can't read
    $163 was simply a reference to the CPU price of an XP versus a Celeron. Of
    course, in your attempt to make an argument out of nothing, you already knew
    that but chose to gloss over it with another
    useless, unfounded statement
    'Kitset' PCs as you call them have absolutely no draw backs against any
    pre-built manufacturer job (this is assuming the owner can either a) Build
    it themselves or b) Know someone who can. If the owner cannot satisfy a or b
    then I do agree with you in that a pre-built system is better for them).
    However, im more cases than not, you get way better value for money in a
    'kitset' PC as a) you know exactly what's in it and b) upgrade options are
    commonly better than with pre-builts that often use custom components that
    are either not upgradable or are at extortionate prices
    At least you got the name right

    Anyway, I've put forward my opinion. If you don't agree, then by all means
    disagree but when you start shooting your mouth off, you relegate yourself
    to what looks like a newsgroup troll (even if you aren't) that spend their
    Sunday afternoons looking for someone to criticise. Criticise all you want
    but I am not listening anymore and not wasting my time answering what I'm
    sure will be another rebuttal from you. The original poster can take my
    information or leave it....the decision they make is entirely up to them
    (not YOU or I) and they will have all the information necessary to make it

    Have a nice day

    Dangermouse, Feb 15, 2004
  19. Keith

    E. Scrooge Guest

    And yet you're the one that's into building up cheap kitset jobs, while
    gambling that any hasslkes will be be your problem as well, Tightwad.

    Retreat all you like, it hardly matters one way or the other. Kitset PCs
    are cheap enough, but should there be any problems, it's up to you to decide
    where the problem is and hope like Hell that you're right. The complete
    system is all up to the retailer to sort out any problems that it might
    have.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 15, 2004
  20. Keith

    Lebowski Guest

    If you know what the f*** you're doing, you don't get any problems
    whatsoever. I trust my own judgement personally a helluva lot more than some
    'retailer'.

    Lebowski, Feb 15, 2004