advice on basic setup needed badly.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jogdial, May 9, 2005.

  1. jogdial

    jogdial Guest

    Hi,

    I've run into a problem with my Cisco setup and my ISP. Basically,
    they won't do reverse DNS on our outgoing serial interface. I
    currently NAT everything from internal private LAN to this serial
    interface. As my front end mail server is internal, that means it gets
    NAT'd on the way out to the serial interface. Some mail servers it
    talks to require reverse looksup and it fails sending mail to them.

    My serial interface is xxx.xxx.190.90 and the other end of the WAN link
    is xxx.xxx.190.89 these are the only two IP numbers in that subnet.

    My router has 3 interfaces, a serial for the WAN, and two ethernet, one
    for internal LAN one for a DMZ. The DMZ is xxx.xxx.168.224/240.

    I'm no guru at Ciscos that's for sure, but in generaly I can figure
    things out if given an idea or any docs to read... is there a solution
    to this? Any pointers, suggested reading or whatever would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks for your help.

    jogdial, May 9, 2005

  2. jogdial

    Matt Douhan Guest

    If you don't have a rDNS then there is no way ti fix it, a workaround would
    be to use your ISP's mailserver as a smarthost for your outgoing emails.

    Matt Douhan, May 9, 2005