    are the flashes expensive ? price is a lil under 200 CND

    any input welcome

    Cheers and have a good weekend!

    Kip, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Kip

    Seymore Guest

    @ $200CND, I'd snag it. Also how many shots have been taken with it. You may
    also want to inquire @ www.SonyCams.com

    Seymore...
    Owner of an F717... and luvin' it!
    remove "REMOVE" to reply

    Seymore, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Kip

    Larry Guest

    If you can get a 717 for $200 you should GO FOR IT! With one Caveat... Make
    sure the hot shoe is working!!! (the bult in flash not working may mean more
    than a burnt out bulb)

    I use a 717 with a generic Quantaray flash and it does a wonderfull job.

    Quantaray has a range of flash units that will work with the 717 starting at
    about $30 (US) and topping out at about $100 (US).

    Keep in mind that using the Sony 717 with ANY flash mounted on the hot shoe
    is usually a totally manual operation (even if you buy the special Sony Flash
    unit which is a whole bunch over-priced).

    I have the 717 and the 828 (along with several other cameras both Sony and
    other brands) and the 717 is my favorite non-film camera. I use it in fully
    manual mode and get some of the best pictures I have ever taken with any
    camera. (I've been shooting pictures on a semi daily basis since 1964)

    The 717 is NOT a perfect camera, but it is a REALLY GOOD digital point &
    shoot.

    Its only major fault, in my opinion, is a lack of a RAW mode.

    Larry, Jul 9, 2004
  4. The F717 is a great P&S, it's sharper and higher resolution than the
    Canon 10D most of the time due to the F717's exeptionally acurate AF
    system with active illumination beam.

    Here is a nice image quality comparision...
    http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/717_sd9_s602z

    Ergonomically the F717 is in the dark ages with a mere 6 different
    switch actions required to delete an image, along with a several
    second delay between 2 of those so the camera can shift gears into its
    play mode. Wouldn't be so bad if the camera didn't save every image
    unstoppably. I also don't like LCD blanking during burst mode, a P&S
    should do better.

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 10, 2004
  5. Kip

    Sabineellen Guest

    I don't like that it uses memorty stick; never ever again!

    Sabineellen, Jul 10, 2004