    is there anything that fits the bill?

    Thanks in advance.

    J.

    JJ, Jun 13, 2006

  2. JJ

    acl Guest

    The Konica-Minolta Z3 (4MP, long zoom) is fast (it can take 10shots/sec
    at a low resolution, not that this is useful, but it shows its speed).
    It also autofocuses very fast for what it is (less so in low light).
    Don't know if you can still find it, though.

    acl, Jun 13, 2006

  3. JJ

    acl Guest

    Also I think 640x480, 30fps video until the SD card is full (well I
    think, I never used it). Overall, a nice little camera.

    acl, Jun 13, 2006
  4. JJ

    Panno Zhai Guest

    I read that FujiFilm FinePix F10/F11/F30 has a very small shutter lag.

    All of the cameras have less-than-perfect video. A videorecorder is
    recommended instead.

    \/

    Panno Zhai, Jun 13, 2006
  5. JJ

    aussie bongo Guest

    and alot of those video recorders are not that good on picture quality,
    these days it is getting to the point of spend good money and get crap...

    aussie bongo, Jun 13, 2006
  6. JJ

    EarGuy Guest

    Panasonic Lumix FZ7. $400. 6MP, fast Leica lens, 12x optical zoom, weighs
    10oz. Auto or fully manual. Takes bursts of video, but I suggest buying a
    camcorder if that's what you want.

    Oh, sorry, I guess this doesn't fit into the "compact" class, but it's
    small, light, flexible, and takes nice shots. Consider it.

    Dave
    earguy

    EarGuy, Jun 14, 2006
  7. The little brother of the FZ7, the TZ1, might be a better fit. A bit
    less zoom (10x) and no manual controls, but roughly half the size and
    maybe $100 cheaper. It has the same high-speed focus modes that gave the
    FZ7 (and cousins) such good response times.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jun 14, 2006