Advice needed on filters for Sony DSC-P50

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jonathan, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    Hi there,

    I have a Sony DSC-P50 but have found that it picks up greens very
    brightly - will a polarising, UV, or ND filter help balance the
    colours out? I have read up a little on them, and all seem as though
    they could help. I plan on getting either a polarising or UV filter
    anyway, to
    see their effect for myself. (will UV help eliminate blueness from
    bright winter skies?)
    Does anyone know if I have to get a circular polarising filter or a
    linear one for the DSC-P50?

    I have read that normal-quality UV filters don't work half as well as
    top-quality ones - so would it actually be worth my while getting one
    (also since digital cameras are apparently less sensitive to UV light
    - does this include the DSC-P50?)

    Does the quality of a polarising filter make that much difference for
    digital photography?

    I am mainly just trying to eliminate my bright greens, and take
    outdoor pictures of land/sky without finding that I have horrendous
    exposure problems.

    I know that's a lot of questions, but any help would be greatly
    appreciated! Thanks!

    Jonathan, Jul 28, 2004

  2. It should not. UV. polarizing and ND all should be color neutral. I
    guess it is possible that your camera just can't handle all the light it
    gets and that is causing the problem, but I doubt it.
    It seems that most digitals have sensors that are not UV sensitive as
    film is, or have built in UV filtration.
    Generally they work as well, but they are not as well made and may add
    flair problems.
    Just as much as in film photography. For critical work there is a
    difference. For many people, they will never see the difference.
    I suggest reposting your question and ask specifically about the green
    problem. It may be a known problem with that camera. How old is it. It
    may have a defect.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Jonathan

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Do you mean that the pictures have a green cast, or that your greens are
    brighter (or more saturated, etc) than you would like?

    UV and polarizing filters are supposed to be color-neutral, and of course a
    neutral density filter won't affect color at all. If your "bright" greens
    are due to excessive reflections off foliage, though, then a polarizer might
    be just what you're looking for.
    They work the same; the quality is about the quality of the glass, not of
    the polarizing effect. A lower-quality filter (of any kind, not just a
    polarizer) can introduce reflections, which will result in light loss,
    and light dispersion, which will reduce sharpness and contrast. Good
    filters are designed to minimize these things.
    Outdoor pictures of land/sky are a source of great exposure problems.
    That type of shot can be very tricky. That's why Ansel Adams got all
    the respect. :)

    Luckily, it's easier with digital than it ever was with film, so you're
    starting from a better place.

    Jeremy Nixon, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    Hi, and thanks for all your replies!
    Excuse me if I appear slightly ignorant of some major digital
    breakthrough here, but I'd have expected digital cameras to have
    multi-exposure capabilities by now, since they are not limited to a
    one-time exposure like with film. Theoretically, it should be
    possible to take as many exposures as there are ccd elements, although
    I suppose the technology to do that quickly enough could be very
    expensive. Certainly if the camera was on a tripod, speed is less of
    an issue (we're talking minutes, as is required with film sometimes)

    Incidentally, I have produced a couple of traditional dark room prints
    from 35mm film which I consider to be as good, in composition at
    least, as Ansel Adams (one in Yosemite, another in Dolby Forest), but
    one has to appreciate that his work took a lifetime and many thousands
    of prints to get right! And he had some of the best landscapes on his
    doorstep, the git.

    Jonathan, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Some do have auto bracketing available. However I don't think the
    technology has yet reached the advancement that would allow it to be able to
    easily duplicate the exposure and processing control Adams used. Maybe some
    day. In some ways digital is easier to use than the film Adams used, and I
    expect that in time it will be possible to accomplish what Adams did with
    less effort than he did, but I don't think that time is here yet.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    Hi
    Just bright (over-saturated) greens in foliage and the green side of
    trees, although in recent experiments it doesn't always happen.

    I have also had some very blue lense flares from bright winter skies,
    I guess a filter may help here too.
    I think you may be right - as I understand it, a polarising filter
    cuts down reflected light which should reduce the effect of saturated
    green light from foliage. :D

    Thanks!

    Jonathan, Jul 30, 2004
  7. A lens shade is likely to help a lot more. Filters may make it worse.
    Maybe maybe not. Worth a try. You can see the effect with any
    polarizing material. If you have a pair of polarizing sun glasses they may
    do for a test. Take them, or any polarizing filter and just hold it in
    front of your eye and rotate it 180ยบ and watch. If you see a reduced
    reflection then the filter will work on your camera, if not, it will do no
    good.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 30, 2004
  8. B&W filters are both great and expensive.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 31, 2004