advice needed on cheap 300mm's for 20D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fjr.colorado, Jul 29, 2006.

  1. fjr.colorado

    fjr.colorado Guest

    Need a zoom lens, just to widen my options when shooting with my 20D.

    I know all about the pros/extreme benefits of spending 2000+ $ on a
    good one. But I'm not there at the moment budget wise.

    Am considering the Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (about $175) or the Tamron
    28-300 f/3.5-6.3 (about $400).

    Both get above average ratings on Amazon. Neither have IS, I believe.

    No fast action sports shooting here for me, so right now at least, I
    don't need a large optic 2.8. I wouldn't mind upgrading some day, but
    that's a ways off for now.

    Have a tri and monopod, and my primary shooting will be
    landscapes/scenery (hiking, mountains, etc. - heading to Kauai next
    month).

    Am looking for advice on which one I should probably pick up.
    Considering the above - what should I opt for? Of course, the $175
    option is the most attractive money-wise, and I like the fact it's an
    original Canon.

    Thanks!

    fjr.colorado, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Charles Schuler, Jul 29, 2006

  3. fjr.colorado

    fjr.colorado Guest

    PS.

    The only thing I'm not sure what "aspherical" means. The Tamron is
    this. It's aparently better, but I'm not sure what the significance is
    of this.

    Thanks

    fjr.colorado, Jul 29, 2006
  4. fjr.colorado

    Bill Funk Guest

    Apherical means one or more of the lens elements isn't shaped as a
    part of the surface of a sphere.
    Often such elements are a plactic/epoxy, which is much easssier to
    shape that way.

    Bill Funk, Jul 30, 2006
  5. fjr.colorado

    Pete D Guest

    Sigma 70-300 DG APO, an excellent lens, a keeper and a sleeper.

    Pete D, Jul 30, 2006
  6. fjr.colorado

    Zozzer Guest

    I agree