    Internet for e-mail and web browsing, over a dial-up line, which
    won't be used that regularly.

    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Guest

    Chris Guest

    Get an 8 port switch (about $60) connect all computers to this and have the
    computer with the modem in it setup Internet Connection sharing. This will
    supply the other computers with DHCP (ip numbers). Also i think there is an
    option to allow "dial on demand", so that when one of the computers that is
    connected needs to access the internet, the host computer automatically
    starts connecting.

    Chris, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Guest

    Enkidu Guest

    There's the Microsoft approach (read - lot's of license fees) and
    there's the Open Software approach (read- need for a bit of knowledge)

    That's the first decision.

    You say that you need a dial-up connection to the Internet for email
    and web-browsing. While it is possible to run this way, be prepared
    for the usage to skyrocket, especially in the email area.

    You could either set up a peer network or have a dedicated server
    (Win2003 if you go the Windows route, Linux RedHat as non-Windows).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Guest

    Rupert Guest

    As you are already running Windows go for this option - just means that the
    machine that connects to the internet must be Win98SE or higher.

    Have this setup in my home office for 3 machines and works a treat - just
    make sure you have a firewall of some sorts - even the built in MS one at a
    pinch!

    Also don't get a switch or routher that supports 100MB - not much more
    expensive as when file sharing a 100MB network is much faster!

    Rupert, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Guest

    T.N.O Guest

    If he already has the machines, what licience costs will there be?

    In saying that, I'd suggest going for a dedicated Linux distro ah-la
    IPcop/smoothwall

    T.N.O, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Guest

    T.N.O Guest

    For 6 users? well I guess, but it would probably be a bit of overkill.

    T.N.O, Sep 6, 2003
  7. Guest

    mnm snr Guest

    dont forget about backing up the shared data (even if its only a
    re-writable cd initially) and anti-virus software.

    re-iterate: email (& web browsing) will be used regularly once your staff
    & clients become aware of its existence in your business. especially when
    you start expecting sales enquiries and email replies.

    mnm snr, Sep 6, 2003
  8. Guest

    Enkidu Guest

    Oh, I don't know. You can only have 10 connections on a workstation,
    and if they share files a lot, then they could easily reach 10
    connections. Also a file server would simplify and rationalise file
    storage and backup, authentication, security and lots of other things.

    Enkidu, Sep 6, 2003
  9. Sure - if you don't mind being a magnet for every script kiddie out there.

    Get a separate dialup box. Either a dedicated hardware firewall, or an old
    pentium running Linux smoothwall.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 7, 2003