    the images up to at least 11x17 (including some cropping).

    Again, these will mainly be photographs of buildings and temples....

    Thanks in advance for any advice.....

    dumbtroll, Nov 14, 2007

  2. What sort of budget do you have in mind?

    One bit of generic advice: For the sorts of things you're talking about
    photographing, wide angle will be more important than telephoto. Look
    for a camera that goes to 28mm, or preferably wider (though not too many
    P&S models go much wider than 28, and most of them stop at 35 or
    thereabouts).

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 14, 2007

  3. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    Less than $1000.

    I have an old Nikon film 35mm with something like a 55mm lens,
    and a telephoto lens too. I assume these will not fit on something
    like
    a Canon EOS 400D body, right?

    dumbtroll, Nov 14, 2007
  4. dumbtroll

    Paul Furman Guest

    They will probably fit with an adapter but metering will be
    awkward/manual depending on the lenses. Similar metering on a Nikon
    digital unless you move up to a D200/D300. They will be 1.5x longer but
    you will get a kit lens with wide angle with an entry level dslr.

    Paul Furman, Nov 14, 2007
  5. Well, not without some troublesome adapter and seriously reduced
    functionality.
    However chances are very high that they will work just fine on a Nikon DSLR.
    See http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm for details.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 14, 2007
  6. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    Opps! It's actually a Canon T70. Better chances,
    eh? One lens is 50mm, and the other is a 70-210mm zoom. Will
    these fit on the Canon EOS 400D body?

    dumbtroll, Nov 14, 2007
  7. dumbtroll

    Paul Furman Guest

    Actually worse chances as luck would have it. Start from scratch.

    Paul Furman, Nov 14, 2007
  8. Nope. The T70 has an FD mount which is 100% incompatible to the EF (EOS)
    mount that is used on Canon dSLRs.

    Bad luck. If it were a Nikkor (Nikon) from that time period then chances
    would be very good that you could use it on at least some Nikon dSLRs
    (details depend on the individual camera and lens). Or in the worst case you
    could always modify a Nikkor lens to be IA-compatible and thus be able to
    mount it officially on any Nikon dSLR.

    No such luck with old Canon FD mount lenses.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 14, 2007
  9. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    yep. Just checked the lenses and did a bit
    of research.

    No big deal. But i'm still waiting for
    a camera recommendation.

    The Canon 40d seems to be the hands-down
    super camera. But it's a bit pricey.

    I've been looking at the Canon EOS 400d....

    dumbtroll, Nov 14, 2007
  10. dumbtroll

    roentarre Guest

    Canon 400D backfocuses a lot and the noise level is higher tan
    previous generation camera. I would get at least 40D or something
    like nikon d80 instead.

    The trip should be fine :)

    roentarre, Nov 14, 2007
  11. dumbtroll

    Sosumi Guest

    Take a good look at the Nikon D40x 10MP, or the D40, 6MP. Just as small as a
    better P&S, kitlens (18-55) is the best of all brands and the pictures are
    just as good as from a D80 or even D200. Priced a lot less than $1000,- and
    the build in flash is 1,5 times stronger than Canon´s 40D.
    I´ve had both since 6 months and shot from dark churches to bright beaches.
    With the SB800 flash you can get amazing results. If you want examples, let
    me know.

    Sosumi, Nov 14, 2007
  12. That gives a fair amount of flexibility, then. If you really do want to
    make 11x17s from 10 MP images, I would lean towards one of the smaller
    DSLRs and one broad-range lens. The Nikon D40X with the kit lens, or
    possibly with the 2-lens kit (though I think the latter might take you
    a bit over that budget) would be a good possibility. Ditto the low-end
    Pentax (K100D, I believe) or the Canon 400D.
    No, but depending on exactly what the lenses are, they might work on a
    Nikon DSLR. Different bodies have different levels of compability with
    older lenses, ranging from "mounts, but no auto focus or auto-metering"
    to "fully compatible".

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 14, 2007
  13. dumbtroll

    Guest Guest

    wrote:

    Probably the EOS 400D is your best bet if you want to stay under $1000.
    You might squeak in under $1000 with the Nikon D80, but not with a good
    lens. Avoid the Nikon D40 and D40x if possible.

    Unfortunately, now you come to lenses. For the type of photos you're
    taking, you'll want a relatively wide-angle lens, and these aren't
    cheap. The EF-S 10-22 is an awesome lens, with L quality optics, but it
    isn't cheap. The lowest I ever saw it was around $600 from Dell, using
    some coupon codes, but normally you'll pay at least $600 for it (check
    Buydig where it's $665 minus a $50 rebate). Less wide, but probably a
    better choice, is the Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM which is about
    $495 at Buydig. This is a more practical "walking around" lens.

    One more piece of advice for walking around with a D-SLR around your
    neck in Italy is to purchase a slash proof strap, see
    "http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=16"

    Pacsafe makes other items with slash proof straps and also makes slash
    proof bags and packs. See "http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3".

    Italy is really bad for theft, and they are very clever at pickpocketing
    and stealing bags, cameras, etc.

    Guest, Nov 14, 2007
  14. The D80 with an 18-55 kit lens is (barely) under $1K at B&H. With the
    more usual 18-135 kit, it's somewhat over the budget limit.

    On the other hand, if he's starting fresh without any legacy lenses and
    doesn't anticipate needing fast primes, the D40/D40X isn't all that
    unreasonable.

    For completeness, it's worth noting that if he is going to be taking
    pictures in decent light, a P&S with a reasonably wide-angle lens would
    be a substantially cheaper/smaller option. If he wants wider than 28 or
    so mm, or if "in decent light" doesn't apply, the DSLR is the way to go.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 14, 2007
  15. dumbtroll

    H.S. Guest

    Just curious, could you list some P&S like the ones you mention above?

    thanks,
    ->HS

    H.S., Nov 14, 2007
  16. dumbtroll

    Guest Guest

    He wants at least 10 megapixels. A point and shoot with a WA lens and 10
    megapixels is quite rare, and will be very noisy.

    All I could find were the Panasoninc LX2 and FX100, neither of which is
    suitable for the type of photos he plans to take.

    Guest, Nov 14, 2007
  17. There are a bunch. Off the top of my head, a couple of examples are the
    Canon SD870 and the Panasonic TZ3. If you go to
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp and plug in '<28 mm' for the
    Zoom wide field, and then whatever other limits you are interested in
    (pixel count, price, etc.), you'll get a nice list.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 14, 2007
  18. DPReview coughs up a couple of other possibilities (the Sony R1, a
    Ricoh, and the Leica rebadged versions of those Panasonics), but yeah,
    it's a limited selection. The LX2 would probably do a decent job, as
    long as you stay within its ISO100 comfort zone. With the lens
    stabilizer and the reasonably wide max aperture, that's probably doable
    for architectural scenery under most circumstances.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 14, 2007
  19. dumbtroll

    Guest Guest

    If Panasonic could ever solve their noise problems at >ISO 100, they'd
    be a real player in the market.

    The Sony R1 is getting close to a decent SLR in price, and it lacks
    basic features like an optical viewfinder, so I'd not consider it.

    The other option is to forget about the wide-angle lens, and get a Canon
    G9. If wide-angle is needed, use a Canon or Lensmate 58mm lens adapter,
    and a 0.75x wide angle converter.

    The other compromise could be going down to 8 megapixels, where there
    are several choices.

    Guest, Nov 14, 2007
  20. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    Ok, I'm leaning towards the Canon EOS 400D:

    http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/dig...rebel-xti-400d-with-lens_product-details.html

    I know the stock lens is not the greatest glass, but maybe it
    could be wide-angle
    enough for temples? It's 18-55mm.

    dumbtroll, Nov 14, 2007