Advice for fresh install

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ::Nick::, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. ::Nick::

    ::Nick:: Guest

    I just installed windowsXP Pro on a fresh 5 gig partition

    intsalled on ...

    AMD 2500+
    512 DDR400
    SOltek SL-75FRN2-RL

    it takes like up to a minute to get into windows...

    It does a distinct pause when it lights up the KB lights.. just sits there
    thinking, the screen flickers sometimes .. like its initialising the VGA..

    I thought it would boot really quickly on this fresh setup..

    i have tried BootVis and it says that the Drivers are utilising alot of the
    boot time.. could it be doing stuff behind my back (innocent stuff but.)

    any thoughts, i havent really hada decent chance to change things,, but any
    headers would be good

    latest Nforce Drivers
    lateest Nvidia drivers (Geforce 3)

    I think those are the only drivers I have distinct control over..

    thanks in advance. :)

    Nk

    ::Nick::, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Um. I am not entirely sure if I understand you right but I'll have a shot
    anyway.

    I had a problem with a huge delay between clicking on the user icon on
    the login screen and anything working on XP - "my computer" took >45
    seconds before it would begin to populate. Software wouldn't start or
    crash because it couldn't find its own files - you get the picture.

    I finally tracked the problem to networking. I have a NIC, and a
    satellite card installed as well as a dialup adapter and XP was trying to
    initiate LAN traffic over the satellite card (and maybe dialup as well).

    Unfortunately I can't even remember how I managed to rectify that :-\

    O.t.o.h., if your problem occurs _before_ the login screen, then I can
    only make the observation that the one other XP install I've seen on a
    Soltek based machine also takes ages to boot (Athlon XP 2700; brand
    spanking new install, took twice as long to boot as my own Celeron 1.3
    Mhz).

    hope that is in any way useful to you -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 31, 2003

  3. ::Nick::

    Patrick Bold Guest

    VGA...

    It's not clear how long you've been at this, but one thing to keep in
    mind is that the default setting in XP is for Windows to attempt to
    optimize boot configuration on its own, and this normally takes several
    runs to get right. While it's "learning", boot times can be pretty slow.

    Otherwise...have a look at your advanced bios settings. Things like a
    Quick Post or Quick Boot option can save time on diagnostic checks you
    don't ordinarily need. In some cases, there is also an option to delay
    startup for some specified time until the hard drive can get going,
    which you may be able to adjust. You can also try specifying the details
    of IDE configuration (assuming you know them) instead of using the auto
    configuration.

    For the most part, these adjustments all involve small incremental
    decreases in boot time, so don't expect too much -- I'd take a good luck
    at your motherboard documentation (and Soltek's web site) for other
    possibilities. In any case, be sure to try just one change at a time to
    cut troubleshooting issues down to size.

    Patrick Bold, Oct 31, 2003
  4. ::Nick::

    T.N.O. Guest

    slow PC 1.3 MHz...

    T.N.O., Nov 1, 2003
  5. ::Nick::

    Patrick Bold Guest

    Nonsense. First of all, because a 1.3 Mhz processor is plenty fast for
    XP. And second of all, because both the Athlon XP 2500 and 2700 run at
    over 2Ghz.

    Patrick Bold, Nov 1, 2003
  6. ::Nick::

    T.N.O. Guest

    I really hope you're joking with that... note it says Mhz, not Ghz
    I know this, whats your point?

    T.N.O., Nov 1, 2003
  7. ::Nick::

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I have just built an Athlon XP2500+ (Barton core) and it runs at 1.826GHz
    (11 X 166MHz) default. I'm not sure on the 2700, I think that one is around
    2GHz.

    ~misfit~, Nov 1, 2003
  8. ROTFL.

    thanks for pointing that out .... -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 2, 2003
  9. Nonsense what, Patrick Bold?
    Yes, my Celly is plenty fast enough for XP. I already know that.
    I merely observed that the one Soltek MoBo with a much faster CPU
    that I have observed, seems to need approx twice as long to reach the XP
    login screen as my system - suggesting to me that there is an ISSUE.
    What the issue is, I have no idea. Nor have I made any claims about it.
    How can you tell me my observation is nonsense?!? Were you hovering in
    the background, invisibly?
    2.13Ghz I believe.

    Why the hell my neighbours' machine should be so slow booting is beyond
    me.
    However, I will do the dickens and work on it pro bono when they
    went and ignored every single damn thing that I told them to look
    out for when buying their new machine.

    I do however have that smug 'told ya so' feeling because I emphatically
    told them to make sure they get a motherboard made by a company starting
    with 'A'.
    ;-)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 2, 2003
  10. ::Nick::

    Jerry Guest

    My XP2600 runs at 2.09

    Jerry

    Jerry, Nov 2, 2003
  11. ::Nick::

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I quite like the soltek nForce2 boards. I've built a few systems with them
    recently. I don't know if that one *is* an nForce2 though. The biggest cause
    of windows taking a long time to load I've discovered is to do with network
    cards. It theirs has on-board network and they're not using it try disabling
    it in the BIOS. Might help.

    ~misfit~, Nov 2, 2003
  12. Good suggestion. That's the one thing I tried though :) and it didn't
    help *their* machine.

    cheers, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 2, 2003
  13. ::Nick::

    T.N.O. Guest

    I like to prey on people's inability to read properly :)

    T.N.O., Nov 2, 2003
  14. ::Nick::

    Invisible Guest

    I looked at a couple of PCChips boards with 1.1g Durons, they took around
    1:30 to boot XP pro.... after much farting around I changed the (LG)CDROMs from
    secondary slave to secondary master and they now boot in around 20-30 seconds.
    Weird.

    Invisible, Nov 2, 2003
  15. ::Nick::

    T.N.O. Guest

    Did you have them jumpered to "cable select" or actually set
    master/slave etc?

    I found that having them set to cable select slows the boot time
    considerably.

    T.N.O., Nov 2, 2003
  16. ::Nick::

    Invisible Guest

    They were set to slave for some reason.

    Invisible, Nov 2, 2003
  17. ::Nick::

    Enkidu Guest

    The biggest cause of slow startups that I have come across is DNS. Was
    this other machine ever connected to a network?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 2, 2003
  18. ::Nick::

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bugger. Oh well, I don't know what else to suggest other than to check that
    the HDD is working in DMA mode although I can't see it making that big a
    difference. The machines I've put together recently on Soltek boards boot
    into XP in well under 30 seconds. All socket A, nForce 2 though. They don't
    have a SCSI card do they? They can slow down boot times.

    ~misfit~, Nov 2, 2003
  19. ::Nick::

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've seen similar situations where a drive is set to slave and there is no
    master present. Strange that they were set to slave, factory default for
    just about every drive I've ever bought is master.

    ~misfit~, Nov 2, 2003
  20. ::Nick::

    Bret Guest

    Every CDRom I have bought has been set to slave.

    Bret, Nov 2, 2003