    in .NET? I'd like to become a web developer.

    Thanks,
    Trent

    Trent Leach, Aug 13, 2008

  2. Trent Leach

    Elai Guest

    I have some experience on projects that involved migration of VB6 code to
    ..NET. The difference is substantial, and DOES require a different
    approach/way of thinking, but it can be done if you are committed.

    I suggest you take some existing code that you are familiar with and
    re-writing it in .NET in order to learn the fundamentals. Use the plethora of
    resources provided by Microsoft online to help you along. Also, pick up the
    official study kit/guide for the MCTS exam that you wish to pursue; this will
    give you a good idea on the topics to cover.

    I think if you work at this for 3-6 months consistently, you should have
    sufficient knowledge to pass the exam.

    Elai, Aug 14, 2008

  3. Trent Leach

    Marc Guest

    Now that's really 'cute', first they let you do the old stuff, not
    beneficial for your carreer, and then they send you to the exit!
    Ah, don't let that scare you off!! Mostly if you do a job, you are occupied
    with the same kind of technical problems in the projects technical domain,
    and a lot of other non technical political problems. These exams are more
    general. Of course experience helps, but I think this should rather be: 'if
    you have no time to study because you have a full day-time job, then you
    better also have a year of experience'. What you should do is download the
    free express edition, study the 'self paced course' material, and do the
    exercises. And you can do it. I suggest to do 70-536 first. It should take
    you 3 to 6 months though full time, since you have to know the material
    inside out, but it's certainly doable.

    And next time an employer assigns you to do the old stuff, make time free to
    study some new material, even if your employer is pushing you to make some
    deadlines for legacy projects. Think of yourself, as you have experienced,
    your employer thinks of himself also, not of you.

    Marc, Aug 15, 2008