Advice for camera with Movie mode Auto Focus and Tele Zoom Options

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Moderator, Nov 27, 2007.

  1. Moderator

    Moderator Guest

    Hello,

    I am looking for a digital camera that can do good in pictures and
    movie recording, thus removing the need for my family to carry both
    camera and a camcorder all the time.

    Features I am looking for include movie recording of 640 x 480 (or
    more), Auto Focus and allowed Tele Zoom of minimal 3x (not digital
    zoom) during movie recording. It would be great if camera is compact
    size or smaller.

    I found canon A720 seem to do that, but further digging told me
    that some expert review it wrongly -- it cannot tele zoom, and cannot
    do Auto Focus during movie recording. The other camera I am looking at
    is Canon TX1, seem very impressive. It just surprises me that with the
    advances in technology today, I still cannot find a simple digital
    camera that can do well in both pictures and movie.

    I would appreciate your advices about the selections of camera out
    there that fit my criteria above.

    Thanks again
    Sean

    Moderator, Nov 27, 2007

  2. I think that you should look at the Sanyo VPC-HD2 or HD1000 or HD700.

    You really need to look for digital camcorders with decent still
    capability, rather than digital cameras with decent video capability.

    Be sure that whatever you buy records in MPEG4, and can use the SDHC
    cards. This will narrow down your choices significantly.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 27, 2007

  3. Get a Canon S3 IS, 12x optical zoom, allows full use of zoom
    during movie mode, CD quality stereo audio recording, ultrasonic
    motors for noisefree zooming during video, auto focuses during
    video, with EV compensation override if you don't like its
    auto-expsure during move mode. 640x480 fps.

    Then install the CHDK add-on for it and it gives you up to 2 gig
    filesize per video and 108 new compression levels to choose from.
    You can fit up to 12 hours of (low quality) video on an 8gig SD
    card.

    harvey_andersen, Nov 27, 2007
  4. Moderator

    Mr. Strat Guest

    My drummer has an S3 and says the movies are great. My girlfriend has
    an S2, and the movies are quite impressive.

    Mr. Strat, Nov 27, 2007