    for.

    Eventually, everything will be CDMA, of one form or another, but that is a
    ways off.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Finland is an anomaly in wireless, for reasons that we are all well aware
    of.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 2, 2005

  3. I don't agree with you that you have a similar competitive environment.
    In the UK, you have 4 companies who have similar numbers of subscribers
    (they're each with a few percentage points of each other) and very
    similar coverage areas. People do like to debate that on u.t.m, but they
    are very similar when compared to US carriers! They all operate on the
    same technology (forget 'three' for a moment) (e.g.- leave one company,
    your phone will work on another once you unlock it for a small fee.)
    I pay 10 pence per minute (plus a 3p set up charge) to call a mobile, at
    weekends this is 3 pence a minute. It's perfectly transparent to me.
    It's also perfectly clear that there are a huge number of _different_
    prices I could pay with other providers, but all that happens is the
    burden shifts slightly. That is, in the US, the caller will not
    differentiate between how much they pay to a 'cell phone' or a
    'landline' but they may have other considerations- is the number in
    their 'local' calling area, and if not, how much are they paying? Living
    in the US for 11 years, I can't say the pricing is any more transparent-
    there is a massive amount of variation. Of course, when in the US, I use
    very cheap providers, and know how much I'm paying (as I do in the UK)
    but not everyone does.
    Sure there are market forces operating. If you call mobiles a lot,
    you'll use a low cost provider like 1899, or you'll get a mobile
    contract like Three's 750 minutes a month.

    Market forces also mean that people will make long calls from their
    landlines or mobile to other landlines, or to on network mobiles. You
    can call any UK landline for an unlimited time at _any_ time of the day
    for 3p.
    I do appreciate you finding these presentations, and they are persuasive
    for the case they make. However, it still doesn't answer my question as
    to how people arrive at the prices people pay for calls, whether you
    include calls _to_ mobiles, as well as calls from them.

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , Jun 2, 2005
  4. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Can you keep your number, or do you have to reprint all your stationery and
    alert everyone you know about the change?

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Of course. I last ported my number in early 2002, and number portability
    has been around in the UK a good while longer than in the US.

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , Jun 2, 2005
  6. Mark

    Ivor Jones Guest

    They did come up with the Nokia 6310i though, for which I will be
    eternally grateful. Best phone I've ever had.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 2, 2005
  7. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    So which is it? Does CPP always lead to high prices or is Finland an
    exception? And if Finland is an exception, what could be the reason for it?

    Osmo

    Osmo R, Jun 3, 2005
  8. Mark

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Finland's cost structure is different because Finland's telecomm structure
    is primarily wireless - AS I'VE SAID BEFORE IN THIS THREAD, there is a much
    higher ratio of wireless uses to wireline users in Finland than anywhere
    else. Pay attention.

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    Steve Sobol, Jun 3, 2005
  9. The termination charges to mobile phones in Finland are still quite high,
    and CPP is almost certainly the reason. Look at a table of comparative
    termination charges to mobile phones throughout the world, and you can at
    least see relative costs (the U.S. carrier marks up the cost, but at least
    the relative costs can be seen). Finland is slightly less than France,
    Germany, Switzerland, and the UK, but not by a lot.

    http://www.bellsouth.com/consumer/bsld/wireless_termination.html

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 3, 2005
  10. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    But the termination charges are just something that operators pay to
    each other. They are not paid by the callers. Their influence on the
    caller prices is not so simple. Sure they have some effect but as long
    as the calls spread evenly between networks the termination fees even
    up. That operators lose on outgoing inter-network calls they gain in
    incoming ones.
    Those are charges international callers using that specific operator
    pay. They have nothing to do with Finnish domestic calls. The
    termination fees between mobile operators are 6.8-10 cents per minute
    (without VAT) with largest networks having smallest ones.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, Jun 3, 2005
  11. Mark

    Sekhar Guest

    It really amazes me. India is the cheapest place for cellular plans.
    For $4.00 a month they give you unlimited incoming minutes and $0.20
    per minute for calling anywhere within India (with unlimited in-network
    minutes from few carriers).

    A prepaid can go upto a month long with free incoming for $4.00 as
    well. I don't believe any other country beats this.

    If I were you, I would buy a XDA and present it to my girlfriend
    configured with www.skype.com or www.freeworlddialup.com softphones. If
    I have a VOIP phone here, she will call me anytime. If not, she can
    signal me with two/three rings and I will call her back with a local UK
    number on her XDA.

    FYI: there are several Hot-Spots in coffee shops, malls and work places
    where XDA will work great.

    Sekhar.
    www.sekhar.net/call

    Sekhar, Jun 4, 2005
  12. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Here in Malaysia I have to pay US$2.50 per month (the minimum recharge to
    keep my SIM from expiring) for unlimited incoming minutes, and then about
    US$0.12 per outgoing minute within Malaysia and to a few other countries
    (such as the USA).

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 4, 2005
  13. Mark

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Not to burst your bubble, but isn't it possible that the difference in
    prices are due to differences in value between the rupee and Malaysia's
    currency, and the US Dollar? I mean, isn't *everything* in those countries a
    lot cheaper than it is in the US?

    Steve Sobol, Jun 4, 2005
  14. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Not everything - the phones themselves (as well as computers and other large
    electronic devices) are more expensive here. So is Newman's Own spaghetti
    sauce and beer in the supermarket.

    I suppose it depends on how much these things are inputs into the mobile
    phone service business. Electronics, probably quite a lot. Beer, somewhat.
    Spaghetti sauce, not that much at all.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 5, 2005
  15. I thought Malaysia was Calling Party Pays though? That's a very good
    deal for unlimited incoming if you'd have to pay for it otherwise
    though.

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , Jun 5, 2005
  16. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    It is indeed calling party pays, I just wanted to play along.

    Overall termination charges here are pretty low, but mobile is still about
    twice landline (so typical rates to call Malaysia from the USA are 3c/min
    landline, 6c/min mobile).

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 5, 2005
  17. Ah- ok. I have a couple of UK SIM's for which I get free incoming calls
    (other person pays- their problem!) and all I have to do is make sure
    the number is called every 6 months. It's the ne plus ultra for those of
    us who don't need to make calls from the mobile for more than several
    hundred minutes a month.
    Yes, that's not bad. The only European country I've found that has low
    mobile rates is Cyprus (South.) Until recently, it was a monopoly, so
    it's interesting it was so cheap. (I would have thought the small area
    and high population would make a difference there.)

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , Jun 6, 2005
  18. Mark

    dj_webm Guest

    use broadband and skype or other Voip technique - would be free.
    Other way would be use http://tinyurl.com/9tffg - plenty of companie
    who offers 2p/m calls from BT or cable landlines. Calls to US
    landlines starts from 1p - beat that :

    dj_webm, Jun 23, 2005