    likely cost them a fortune (IIRC BT charge about 50ppm and TalkTalk about
    40ppm).

    1899 don't have rates for Lichenstein on their web site.

    Andy Pandy, May 29, 2005

  2. Mark

    Andy Pandy Guest

    They both go down the same wire. You get one with other, here in the UK.
    My point is that you wonder why people have landlines when you can make calls
    for 6.9c per minute on your mobile.

    I make the vast majority of my phone calls for much cheaper rates than 6.9c per
    minute (even when you factor in the monthly line rental), by virtue of having a
    landline and my contacts having landlines.

    Andy Pandy, May 29, 2005

  3. Mark

    Joseph Guest

    Your reading comprehension is sorely lacking. Did you not see "the
    receiver pays and I will have a conversation as long as both parties
    are willing." That implies that the party who is paying for the call
    is not as you say "babbling" but is having a conversation for as long
    as is mutually agreed by both parties. You really do need to pay
    attention!

    Joseph, May 29, 2005
  4. BT's website says 18ppm during the week, 16ppm weekend to _landlines_. I
    can't find what the mobile surcharge would be, but oddly, the only call
    I made from the landline was charged 16ppm last weekend. I'll try a
    weekday call and see what the per minute charge is. I'd read elsewhere
    that 18ppm was the BT charge, so maybe it's the same, at the moment.
    Yes- they don't actually place calls there- nor do 18866 yet.

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , May 29, 2005
  5. Mark

    Andy Pandy Guest

    "chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco"
    http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Cust_Opts_Res.boo/31853.htm

    gives landline rates as you quote.

    Further down is:

    Table 4 - International Direct Dialled (IDD) PPM Prices to Mobile Telephones
    Operative Date:01.08.2000

    IDD calls to some mobile telephones will be charged at 21.27 pence (ex VAT)/25
    pence (inc VAT) per minute more than the equivalent IDD calls to fixed
    telephones. Full details of the destinations and number ranges to which this
    applies are shown in Section 2 Part 16

    which points at:

    http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/16361.htm

    which show codes (423) 76/77/78/79 are subject to this surcharge (so that would
    be cheaper than I quoted, 41-43ppm).
    I guess if the number of your SIM doesn't start as above, then you'll pay the
    landline rate, although this would seem odd, I thought the numbers in that list
    included all mobiles (except for countries like US and Canada where the receiver
    pays).

    Andy Pandy, May 29, 2005
  6. []
    The number is 423 66 etc.- so that might explain it.

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , May 29, 2005
  7. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    Completely different rules apply in international calls. Basically one
    needs to pay the down link in full and more.
    The operators provide calls to other networks at prices well below cost
    hoping to make it up in intra-network calls, calls to landlines and
    received calls. The reason is that the demand for same price on all
    destinations is very high because of number portability. (There is a
    toll free number to check the operator but it still is a hassle.)
    Another way to make money for them is also so called corporate numbers.
    Calling them with a mobile costs about 30 cents a minute this is divided
    between the mobile operator and the corporate number operator. In last
    Summer I had problems with my cable modem and TV-reception. I had to
    make several calls to the cable operator (which for some reason had
    chosen a national corporate number). The total bill for the calls was 15
    euros. I asked them why they had such number and incorrect information
    on the costs in their web-page. The manager responding did not even know
    the price and it was found out that even the telephone operator keeping
    the number had incorrect information. I advised them to use a normal
    number instead and six months later they switched to one. Had it been
    normal number back then I would have paid less than half of it and even
    that would have been covered by free airtime I had left.

    The termination fees currently vary between 6.8 and 10 cents a minute.
    They are considered generally way too high when same operators sell
    intra-network calls as low as 2-4 cents a minute and calls to any
    operator at 6.9-8.9 cents a minute. (Note the latter include 22 % VAT
    while the termination fees do not.). And of course it is the one that
    sells the intra-network calls at 2 cents that requests 10 cents from
    calls coming from other networks.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  8. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    Fortunately it is not so here.
    You then make plenty of calls. Basically one needs to make many long
    calls for landline to be cheaper here. That 6.9 was just an example.
    There are other cheap deals. Especially the package deals are cheap
    compared to landlines. 500 minutes at 17.80 on mobile compared to 12.45
    euros a month base fee on a landline.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  9. Mark

    Andy Pandy Guest

    Not really. Usually about 600 mins a month.
    The other point, here in the UK, is that if you don't have a landline then you
    are forcing most of your callers to pay much much more to call you, typically 10
    times the cost. You may have reasonable mobile termination rates in Finland, we
    don't here. As I wrote earlier, a friend of mine saw his bill sky rocket when
    his wife's best friend decided to ditch her landline - their monthly bill which
    was usually a few pounds went up to over £50.

    Andy Pandy, May 29, 2005
  10. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    Well one can hope the other party does not have a mobile.
    I doubt that. If they wanted to stay much longer on phone they'd get
    land lines.
    Yes, that's an example of what lack of competition causes. Probably
    they want to keep on with the existing customers by giving a message
    that there is no return.

    In most cases landline just just a hassle. There is additional phone
    number. One needs to have an answering machine or service for it, the
    phones have poor phone directories etc. It is much simpler just to have
    one phone even though it might in some cases cost more.
    Well in some sense it is true. If all your friends get mobile phones you
    need to get one too. This has in some cases been reduced very lately
    when the calls to mobile phones were opened to competition. A ten minute
    call from land line to mobile on day time used to cost up to about 2,80.
    Now one can get it at 1,58. Still when one can get it at 69 cents from a
    mobile it is cheaper. (A 10 minute local call is around 20 cents) The
    worst, however, is pay phone to mobile. That can cost about 85 cents a
    minute or about 60 cent a minute premium over a local call. It is more
    than what phone booth to landline and landline to mobile cost added
    together. IMO when direct call costs more than indirect then there is a
    ripoff. Well the same run mobile phones and the phone booths.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  11. Mark

    S Viemeister Guest

    I know one or two people in the US who still have pagers - but they also
    use mobiles.

    S Viemeister, May 29, 2005
  12. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    The other party might be too polite to interrupt you.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  13. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    It is when one considers the etiquette. In general it is the caller who
    has something to say and it is polite to listen what he has to say. Of
    course there is no law that says one cannot just hang up and in some
    cases one actually might have better things to do.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  14. Mark

    Andy Pandy Guest

    "chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco"
    Interesting. You could try the telediscount number for Liechenstein landlands,
    this would be 5ppm. Or the mobile one is 10ppm.

    Andy Pandy, May 29, 2005
  15. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    With 300 minutes a month it is better get here a plan that gives 500
    minutes at 17.80 a month. Also do no forget received calls. 10 minutes a
    day is pretty much. Average use here has been about 150 minutes a month
    though it has been increasing somewhat recently as prices dropped.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  16. Mark

    Ivor Jones Guest

    If something was costing me money and I didn't want to pay it, politeness
    wouldn't enter into it..!!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 29, 2005
  17. And of course GSM _is_ TDMA. The only reason that CDMA took hold in the U.S.
    is a) because CDMA is much more spectrally efficient, (U.S. has less
    spectrum available for mobile voice and data), and b) you can cover an
    equivalent area with far less cells, which is important in less densely
    populated areas.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 29, 2005
  18. Mark

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> S Viemeister
    I carry both. My pager can do things that no phone on the market today
    can even dream of doing:

    1) Standby time measured in weeks or months.
    2) Run from a battery that I can pick up at any corner store for $2.
    3) Receive a signal virtually anywhere. That includes elevators,
    underground (basements, subbasements, etc), parkades, train tunnels,
    etc.
    4) Hardware cost under $50 without any contract/commitment/etc
    (Important because if I break it, lose it, whatever else, I don't care
    anywhere near as much as if I lose me $300 cell phone)

    And not only that, my pager is smaller then any cell phone on the
    market.

    DevilsPGD, May 30, 2005
  19. Mark

    Joseph Guest

    Osmo, if you don't have an answer it's really better to not say
    anything rather than appear foolish. You're grasping for straws and
    they ain't there.

    Joseph, May 30, 2005
  20. In the US I was paying about US$25/month (19 euro) for unlimited
    Depends when. A lot of US plans now offer either unlimited night and
    weekend minutes or a large enough number that it might as well be
    unlimited, e.g., I get 3500/mo. This works fine for me, since during
    the day I tend to be in the office with my landline at hand, and
    nights and weekends I'm more likely to be out.
    Finland seems to be kind of a special case, just about the only place
    I know where there are more mobiles than landlines. It sounds like
    the landline service wasn't so grat, and the telco decided (not
    altogether unreasonably) to make mobiles irresistable rather than
    investing in landlines.

    In the US, pretty much everyone had a phone by 1960. Other countries
    took a lot longer to catch up, and if they waited long enough, mobiles
    could be a good alternative. I gather that everyone in Hungary has a
    mobile, too, because it was faster to build a new mobile network after
    the communists left than to fix the decrepit fixed network.

    R's,
    John

    John R. Levine, May 30, 2005