    broadband, you *have* to have a phone line, there is *no* "other source"
    to get broadband from. They have a captive market.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 29, 2005

  2. the US does not have special numbers for mobiles, so any service that
    can call US numbers should do.
    I am not sure whether the callee still has to pay per minute for
    incoming calls to a US mobile. Probably depends on the particular plan.

    Georg Schwarz, May 29, 2005

  3. and they do not accept any non-US credit cards, do they?

    Georg Schwarz, May 29, 2005
  4. I think it is the case as well with some mobile operators in India.

    Georg Schwarz, May 29, 2005
  5. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    Here the phone connection is separate from the line. I used to have a
    phone connection in it but I dropped it years ago. I then got ADSL on
    it. There is no need to have phone connection to have it. In fact any
    such requirement would be illegal as abuse of predominant market
    position. (couping ASDL or mobile connections with landline ones is a no
    no because of the local monopolies phone companies had for over a
    hundred years).

    If I hooked a phone in the socket, I'd get nothing. Not even a dial
    tone. Therefore I do not have landline in any meaningful sense related
    to phones. If I wanted it to work it would cost me 99 euros to open it
    and then at least 6 euros a month as fees.

    Does the BT actually rip the cables out if you close the connection?
    Here cable is also an option. I first tried it then took ASDL from Elisa
    and got modem as bonus. I then closed it and got a cheaper connection.
    That is here known as milking.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  6. So far, the riiing SIM has worked fine for me. Especially, as a lot of
    my trips involve a short time in different countries, it's ideal for me-
    and frankly, it isn't going to cost much more (if at all) for most
    people to call me on a Lichtenstein mobile number than a UK one! :)

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , May 29, 2005
  7. The study you're referring to didn't make the comparison- it
    _referenced_ another that did. Unless I knew more about that one, why on
    earth should I believe it?
    I don't know how it was measured.
    I'm not interested in 'finding a study' to support anyone's view. I'm
    interested to know what the criterion used were.
    I'm prepared to look at any study, and I'll even believe it, providing I
    know what the parameters are. The study cited doesn't do that- and I
    can't find the article that it references.

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , May 29, 2005
  8. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    Here the government made a clear decision that ADSL and GSM should be
    open to competition and separate from the old monopolies. So one can
    choose the ADSL operator. The local company then gets a rent for the
    line from the ADSL provider. As for cable I think you need to be hooked
    to the cable TV which means that you get all your TV from it. It costs
    nothing extra to the individual apartment owner (though one of course
    pays it as part of the monthly payment of pays that covers all the
    general expenses). One does not have to have pay-TV to get cable modem.
    As I have understood in the U.S. it is for the individual residents to
    decide to join or not join the cable. Here it is done at building basis.
    Individual residents can then choose whether to get pay-TV as extra.
    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  9. Make all the cheap shots you want, but the fact is that most of the
    comparisons here are based on personal usage and needs (e.g. "I don''t
    want my friends to have to pay so much to call me"), so yes, as far as
    mobile phone pricing goes, it very much does revolve around the user.

    []
    You keep on referring to this study as somehow defining mobile phone
    costs, yet the comparison was in a footnote, and there are so many
    factors involved in determining that, I think it's pointless without
    knowing how the figure was arrived at. I'm perfectly prepared to accept
    the statistics if I had some how idea what they were based on- and based
    on over a decade living in the US, I'm also quite used to a lot of
    things being cheaper there, than in Europe. But, I haven't seen anything
    like that yet as far as this is concerned.

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and , May 29, 2005
  10. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    That may apply to some people but not in general. The CPP model can also
    provide low rates as it evident from Finland. I consider it cheap that
    one can talk over 500 minutes for 20 euros a month or 135 minutes for 10
    euros.
    I do not pay anything on incoming calls. Note also that the amount one
    pays is not the only issue. There is the issue of control. I have better
    control on the calls I make than the calls others make to me so I am
    willing to pay extra for those. Which I am not making IMO I pay nothing
    on calls up to 47 minutes a month.

    If the U.S. system is so much better why do so few people have mobiles
    in the U.S. and why do you still use pagers (here pagers have been
    discontinued years ago)

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  11. Mark

    Ototin Guest

    In my part of Canada the monthly fee is $26.00 with taxes included.
    This is for a plain subscription, i.e. there is no caller ID or any
    other calling features.
    When I dial a telephone number I don't know whether it is a mobile or
    land line number. When people give me a telephone number I don't ask
    if it is a mobile or not. I understand that the receiver pays and I
    will have a conversation as long as me and the called party are
    willing.

    Ototin, May 29, 2005
  12. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    You mean the line rental? Well, of course. No other fees though.
    In the US I was paying about US$25/month (19 euro) for unlimited calls to
    local landlines and mobiles. As you can imagine, calling patterns in that
    environment are quite different - people stay on the phone for hours.

    I think we can assume from this that people would prefer to spend more time
    on the phone and find more value in doing so, but in the high-cost European
    telecoms market they cannot afford to.
    That startup cost is insanely high as well. 100 euros??

    So basically we have a situation where the mobile in Finland is somewhat the
    lesser of two evils.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 29, 2005
  13. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    I signed up for DSL on a line with no phone service in DC in 2000 and as far
    as I know it's still being used (through Covad on Verizon's wires).

    It makes good sense, since with people cancelling landlines, at least this
    way the ILEC can make some money (by renting the pair to the DSL provider).
    Otherwise the house might go to cable modem and mobile and leave the ILEC
    with no revenue at all.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 29, 2005
  14. Mark

    Osmo R Guest

    So you could end up babbling nonsense at the expense of the receiver. He
    might be too polite to remind you of it. I think it is better that the
    one who makes the call pays. Here one always knows if a number is mobile
    or not. Such a system may suit better the U.S. and Canada with its
    numerous local companies. In Europe the CPP is IMO better though there
    are problems with international calls. It may not be easy to tell from a
    foreign number if it is mobile or not.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, May 29, 2005
  15. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    I find this surprising if true. It costs me USD0.028/minute to call a
    Finnish landline and USD0.181/minute to call a Finnish mobile - that's 6
    times more expensive. Either Finnish mobile providers are subsidizing calls
    between each other's networks, or they are colluding and providing lower
    prices for inter-network termination than they provide to other operators,
    or I have misunderstood your claim, or your claim is incorrect.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 29, 2005
  16. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    They might if they knew it would result in the cost of their outgoing calls
    dropping to half or less.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 29, 2005
  17. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    I do not know anyone in the US who has a pager or does not have a mobile
    phone. I think you are going on old information.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 29, 2005
  18. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    What does this mean? In both the US and Europe either party is free to hang
    up the phone when they are tired of the conversation. What is the relevance
    of who placed the call?

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 29, 2005
  19. Mark

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Doesn't matter - he's ahead of you way before 3750 minutes.

    At "6.9-8.9" (which I'll just call 7.9), he's paying less than you after as
    little as than 10 minutes of calling per day. With each additional minute of
    calling he pays less and less than you do.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 29, 2005
  20. Mark

    Andy Pandy Guest