    Are the ALT tree of NG's different in some way with regard to these rules??
    Thanks for any help/answers.

    --

    The Dude, Aug 25, 2004

  2. *Generally* posts that are designed to generate income or to promote
    sales or other commercial enterprise are off limits except to the groups
    that obviously invite such posts, such as alt.junk.for.sale. Same is
    true of eBay auctions. A sig with a web link is usually not too bad
    unless it becomes obvious that the only reason for posting is to get the
    sig seen by as many people as possible. These aren't legal issues, more
    of breaking the TOS of different ISPs and news providers.

    Keep in mind that regardless of the ISP's frame of mind, you're likely
    to piss off a bunch of people in a newsgroup by spamming them. And that
    will not likely help your sales.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 26, 2004

  3. The Dude

    D Guest

    Read your ISP's terms of service to see what they class as spam, if you break
    those rules and get reported it's them who will take action.

    D, Aug 26, 2004
  4. The Dude

    The Dude Guest

    It's not what I'm postinbg but what others are posting-exactly what I
    mentioned in my OP.
    Events,product releases(CD's),EBAY auctions.
    Specifically at alt.music.saxophone if you're interested.

    The Dude, Aug 26, 2004
  5. The Dude

    The Dude Guest

    Thanks,I'm still non the wiser as to how people are getting away with
    posting blatant adverts to NG's though.
    I see plenty of abuse reports here for spamming and advertising but at a
    NG I read everyone seems to accept that on topic advertising is OK,I
    don't have a massive issue with this(IE-I'm not going to start abuse
    reporting those responsible)-but I'm wondering how they get away with it.

    The Dude, Aug 26, 2004
  6. I believe you just explained how they get away with it: nobody reports them.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 26, 2004
  7. The Dude

    The Dude Guest

    So advertising your forthcoming gig is not legal in usenet terms??
    Advertising your new business is not legal in usenet terms??
    Posting about your latest CD release(and nothing else) is not legal in
    usenet terms??
    Does it make ANY difference that this is occuring in ALT newsgroups??

    The Dude, Aug 26, 2004
  8. The Dude

    D Guest

    Does that newsgroup have an FAQ you can read to see if it's OK to sell personal
    items?

    D, Aug 26, 2004
  9. The Dude

    The Dude Guest

    http://www.bobrk.com/saxfaq/
    This is the best I can find and as for charter....nothing,yet!

    The Dude, Aug 26, 2004
  10. Ever watch old westerns, where everybody gets to make up their own
    versions of the law? Welcome to the internet. If you don't like it,
    complain to the offender's ISP or find another group to frequent.
    There's no sheriff running around making sure everybody obeys every rule.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 26, 2004
  11. The Dude

    Paul - xxx Guest

    The Dude vaguely muttered something like ...
    An advert ...
    Generally no, and no, but it depends upon the particular group and it's
    faq/charter.
    Generally no, but it depends upon the particular group and it's faq/charter.
    Generally no, but it depends upon the particular group and it's faq/charter.
    Yes. Some newsgroups are all about carrying adverts, some don't allow any
    advertising at all. Mostly, if it's on-topic for the group, and the subject
    line says FS, For Sale, or FA, For Auction, and the goods are relevant to
    the newsgroup it's acceptable. However, general 'trade' advertising is not
    usually acceptable, but it depends upon the particular group and it's
    faq/charter.
    Generally no, but it depends upon the particular group and it's faq/charter.
    If you have a problem with what someone else is posting, then it's up to you
    to describe and report the newsgroup abuse to them and/or their
    ISP/Newsserver ... There are no netkkkops as such, no-one else will do it
    for you.

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks