Advertising Hosts File and Browser IE6 & Firefox Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Heidi Manway, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    Hi I recently installed a Hosts File stop advertising on Webpages now I
    notice that I cannot access a lot of webpages even Ebay.com is blocked
    How do I uninstall this Program?

    I am using IE6 Browser it gives me White Blank Pages sometimes cannot
    find Server to

    Is it Possible to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

    The Same Applies to FireFox Browser too will an uninstall and
    reinstall help or is it a waste of time.

    Regards,

    Heidi

    Heidi Manway, Dec 4, 2006

  2. Heidi Manway

    Pennywise Guest

    Xp goto: WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    and remove it, if not search for HOSTS and rename it
    Try this one http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts I have no problems
    with it, just save it as HOSTS and replace it with what you have now.

    It might not be the HOSTS file that's causing the problem.

    Try this,
    Start | Run <type in>
    CMD /K IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
    <enter>

    Pennywise, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Where did you find this particular HOSTS file?
    It is not a program; it is only a *file* that will be in the directory
    Pennywise mentioned.
    "Cannot find server" ... "Page cannot be displayed" ... or a blank space
    in a page. This is normal.
    Again, it is just a file.

    With Windows Explorer, go to the directory and *rename* the file from
    HOSTS to HOSTS.OLD

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS to HOSTS.OLD

    Restart your browsers.
    ...and will apply to all of your browsers, not just IE and Firefox. Do
    NOT uninstall the browsers.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 4, 2006
  4. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    I got it from you Beauregard heres the link

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#contribute

    Heidi
    so you say its OK to uninstall IE6 Browser from PC and reinstall?
    the same applies to Firefox

    Heidi
    Restart my Browsers what you mean exactly just close and open again?

    Heidi

    <<<<<

    Heidi Manway, Dec 5, 2006
  5. Ok, if you don't like it, delete the file. If you care to, replace it
    with this one I use, which has a lot fewer entries. It's personal, and I
    don't bother to block dodgy web sites, only ad-serving sites.

    http://k75s.home.att.net/hostsfile.txt

    Copy it into Notepad, and save it in place of the mvps file. Make sure
    the name is just HOSTS with no extension.

    Keep reading...
    What did I write, still shown below?

    *DO NOT* uninstall your browsers!
    Restart means close and reopen, yes.