    No one ever seems to have a good word to say about Internet Explorer but
    surely it is not that bad. It gets you from a to b - no problem.

    Melanie

    melanie, Jun 28, 2005

  2. melanie

    Gray Ghost Guest

    Melanie,

    One major bonus is that you can have multiple tabs open :)

    -gg-

    Gray Ghost, Jun 28, 2005

  3. melanie

    cygnian Guest

    I prefer Internet Explorer, but lately have experimented with the
    "portable Firefox" program. This allows me to carry my browser to any
    computer, on my flash drive. No traces are left on any computer you use
    with it (cookies, history, etc>).

    Besides that, I still prefer Internet Explorer on my home PC, but I
    know others prefer Firefox, with some of its differences and benefits

    cygnian, Jun 28, 2005
  4. melanie

    ellis_jay Guest

    A to B ain't dat far, honey.........

    lol

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Jun 28, 2005
  5. melanie

    Plato Guest

    Every now and then IE gets corrupted on pcs, OK it may never happen to
    you but lets say it does. IE is part of windows, so basically you're
    stuck now repairing windows or even loading it fresh again if you cant
    fix IE. If you use an indepentent browser and IT pharks up, one can
    uninstall it, or even try installing it again to a different folder.

    Plato, Jun 28, 2005
  6. All of them.
    That's because it sucks. Looking at the way you try to justify IE even
    as you pretend interest in FF, it looks like you'll be staying with it,
    though.
    So does being a hostage, but perhaps there's a better place to go than
    where your captors want to take you and a better way of getting there
    than being tied up and beaten.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Or you could just reinstall IE... Sure it comes bundled with Windows but
    it's not integral until XP and even then you can reinstall it, just not
    remove it completely.

    Robert Withall, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Firefox is ultimately a pretty version of early netscape. True, it doesn't
    use Active X and doesn't have half of the permissions it needs to make
    malicious changes but that is as much a hinderance as an advantage to some
    people.
    In addition, HTML code missing the occassional closing bracket or end tag
    command is corrected by IE, which makes an educated guess allowing the
    website to display properly.
    Netstupid (as it is known for it's inability to be intelligent like IE) and
    therefore Firefox is incapable of doing this and so entire webpages may fail
    to display because somewhere in 200,000 lines of code there is a missing
    forward slash.

    Firefox is pretty much the MAC of the browser world. It's pretty, it has a
    couple of vaugely functional things and it does cache alot of stuff in the
    same way Opera does (though not as efficently) but it also removes all your
    ability to do anything but what it wants you too, and has no authorities
    itself. People who're destined to use Apple MAC often like firefox. People
    who want to dictate to their computer what it will do, not visa versa, on
    the whole, do not.

    Robert Withall, Jun 28, 2005
  9. melanie

    tango Guest

    The open source movement has been trying to develop a better browser since
    the original Netscape met its demise. I have rooted for this to happen over
    the last several years.
    The truth is while Firefox is better than past attempts, it still does not
    measure up to IE. I had high hopes for Netscape 8 when it was in Beta but
    the AOL group in charge showed just how dumb they were by releasing it with
    all kinds of known security flaws while advertising just the opposite.

    Sadly much of the hype about Firefox and Thunderbird are from people who
    desperately want to believe they have created something they haven't yet
    achieved.

    tango, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Where is IE superior[1], other than in rendering some sites written only
    for it (i.e., not to the real standards) and malware collection?

    [1]And I don't mean as in "which other planet", albeit that's probably
    the only place where this might be true. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 28, 2005
  11. melanie

    ellis_jay Guest

    I hijacked this entire thread and posted it down the hall and down one
    flight in alt.sport.horse-racing in a thread about ghostzapper!!

    mybad!!

    lol

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Jun 28, 2005
  12. STEP AWAY FROM THE GANJA :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 28, 2005
  13. melanie

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    My experience has been not that IE collects malware but bad surfing collects
    malware. I support over 600 IE users and the only malware they ever get is
    as a result of saying yes to a dialog/popup box that says they really should
    install this software (NOT) or they downloaded some 'free'
    screensaver/game/utility that came bundled with the malware. Switching
    browsers is not going to stop people from getting this crap.
    What's 'best' for you may be useless to me. I've tried many alternative
    browsers including Firefox and the browser I like is Avant. I continue to
    look at other alternatives but it's 'best' for me at the moment and to date
    have never gotten any malware or viruses.

    No browser is immune to vulnerabalities. The best you can do is find a well
    supported browser YOU like, learn it's security features and use them. Keep
    it and your operating system patched and up to date and practice safe
    surfing and you will likely be as safe as you can be.

    Fuzzy Logic, Jun 28, 2005
  14. melanie

    Tony Bukres Guest

    Advantages of FF:
    - Tabbed browsing. No more seperate windows to different sites
    - Open several sites with one click
    - A host of extensions that increase FF's features
    - Doesn't run ActiveX which can be a source for malware.

    Upcoming IE7 will have some of these features.

    Tony

    Tony Bukres, Jun 28, 2005
  15. Blocking that crap is. OE users aren't very good at that kind of
    intelligent computing.
    Contradiction: that's just a shell for IE.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 28, 2005
  16. melanie

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    So why blame IE/OE if the operator is the problem?
    What's the contradiction? I like Avant.

    Fuzzy Logic, Jun 28, 2005
  17. melanie

    Shiv Guest

    Personally i like IE.....sooner or later it will get all the
    functionality needed.....coming IE 7 will have most of the security
    features included in it .....wait and see what MS corp has to offer
    ????

    Shiv, Jun 28, 2005
  18. Don't worry; I blame both.
    My emphasis for clarity:

    "the BROWSER I like is Avant" versus it really being just a SHELL FOR IE.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 29, 2005
  19. melanie

    Daave Guest

    I use IE and don't mind separate windows; I'm not sure why this is a
    negative thing (I'm very used to hitting Alt-tab). Also, what is tabbed
    browsing-- can you switch from site to site by hitting the tab key?
    IE can be easily configured to do the same, no? What's the purpose of
    ActiveX anyway? Is it ever used for non-nefarious purposes?

    Dave

    Daave, Jun 29, 2005
  20. melanie

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> Advantages of FF:
    |>> - Tabbed browsing. No more seperate windows to different sites

    |>I use IE and don't mind separate windows; I'm not sure why this is a
    |>negative thing (I'm very used to hitting Alt-tab). Also, what is tabbed
    |>browsing-- can you switch from site to site by hitting the tab key?

    A good example of Tab'd windows is www.FARK.COM

    I can go down the list and middle click on each article I want to
    read, when I'm done there all loaded and ready. I just close each tab
    to get to the next one.

    A new window for each article is a lot of system resources.

    And I use Opera by the way http://opera.com/.

    Pennywise, Jun 29, 2005