Advanced newsgroup filtering

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Navas, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    John Navas, Feb 18, 2004

  2. John Navas

    JPS Guest

    In message <GTSYb.2084$>,
    Doesn't do a thing here, with the line:

    rec.photo.digital drop organization:*nym.alias.net*

    .... and several variations I've tried. I get all the posts from
    nym.alias.net, untouched. Yes, I have my newsreader set to get news
    from "localhost", and I can see the activity in the nfilter window.
    Where is there any decent documentation on the filter syntax?

    JPS, Feb 19, 2004

  3. John Navas

    ralford Guest

    No luck with my attempt:

    rec.* flag:DROP path:*nym.alias.net*
    rec.* flag:IDIOT path:*anon.lcs.mit.edu*

    Figure if I can flag the twit I could delete. Any suggestions would be
    appreciated.

    btw: www.nfilter.org, the referenced site appears to be down?

    Cheers,

    rma

    ralford, Feb 19, 2004
  4. John Navas

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    Out of all the filters I've tried (in an extra instance of Agent), the
    only one that did anything was:

    rec.photo.digital drop subject:*

    as soon as I put a word there, like *word*, it fails to do anything to
    instances of "word".

    I think that this version (1.2.0), might be toast.

    JPS, Feb 19, 2004
  5. John Navas

    Simon Lee Guest

    choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to spell out:
    It's rather scattered. In your example filter, try "path" instead of
    "organization"? And you have your news server selected properly in
    Nfilter?

    Simon Lee, Feb 19, 2004
  6. Shouldn't be - I don't think the Agent filter syntax has changed that
    much, but perhaps an upgrade to the new v2.x (finally!) might be in
    order anyway. Getting back to filtering in Agent however, the bible
    on Agent filters was written by a guy called Jim Bradley and you can
    find details of explanations, examples, and utilities here:

    "Classic" word based:
    http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/CLASSIC.HTM
    "Advanced" regular expressions:
    http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/REGULAR.HTM
    Utility to list filters:
    http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/FILTERS.HTM

    Getting back to your specific problem however:

    Subject: " word "

    would match any subject including "word" surrounded by spaces, but
    would not match " words" or " password " for example, whereas:

    would match " word ", " words", "password" and many more! Another
    good pair to use (with caution!) are:

    Author: %{[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]}
    Subject: %{[A-Z ][A-Z ][A-Z ][A-Z ][A-Z ][A-Z ][A-Z ]}

    The first matches an author with five (or more) consecutive uppercase
    letters, the second matches a subject with seven (or more) consecutive
    uppercase letters or spaces. The former is pretty safe, but even with
    the increased length you may still hit a few model numbers with the
    second one.

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Feb 19, 2004
  7. John Navas

    ralford Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't think the problem isn't a
    regex issue, but rather what parts of the msg are passed through the filter,
    i.e. "path" and "Organization" arguments do not appear to be filtered. This
    appears to be a common "feature" of newsreaders, mainly only filtering
    TO/FROM/SUBJECT/DATE/Text.

    Oh well, if "path" worked in nfilter, it would eliminate garbage passed
    though anon servers. I haven't been able to get it to work.

    I suppose the real question is whether the IDIOT will get a life, grow up,
    or get bored.

    Cheers,

    rma

    ralford, Feb 19, 2004
  8. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    I'm guessing that NFilter uses true regular expressions (where ":*" means 0 or
    more instances of ":" and "t*" means 0 or more instances of "t"), rather than
    globbing. Instead, try:

    rec.photo.digital drop Organization:

    or even (to get rid of all remailer posts)

    rec.photo.digital drop Organization: mail2news.+

    Watch out for possible case sensitivity.

    John Navas, Feb 19, 2004
  9. John Navas

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I have Agent 2.0. The problem I am talking about has nothing to do with
    Agent. Agent is set to get its news from "localhost" which is the
    newsproxy program, aka nfilter, which is supposed to get the news from
    my news server, news.verizon.net. Nfilter's filters are not working for
    me, but the proxy is obviously working, as I get my news through it (or
    *was*; it's disabled right now).

    JPS, Feb 20, 2004
  10. John Navas

    JPS Guest

    In message <c11f3o$qrr$>,
    Someone else mentioned that that doesn't work, either. The only filter
    that works for me that I've tried is "rec.photo.digital drop subject:*",
    and then I get no news at all.
    Yes, I was getting all my news through the proxy.

    JPS, Feb 20, 2004
  11. John Navas

    JPS Guest

    In message <sLaZb.2293$>,
    Tried all that was relevant, and more ("regular expressions" was turned
    off).

    I am pretty sure I had it nailed when I said that this version of
    NewsProxy (1.2.0) is toast.

    Even the explicit:

    rec.photo.digital drop organization:

    .... does not filter anything.

    JPS, Feb 20, 2004
  12. John Navas

    Azzz1588 Guest

    Call me lame for being on aol all you want, after a few minutes putting
    key words into the killfilter, all the foul languaged troll posts just
    up and went away.............

    Azzz1588, Feb 21, 2004
  13. John Navas

    Steve Young Guest

    care to share?

    Steve Young, Feb 21, 2004
  14. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    I've done some tests, and this seems to be a newserver issue --
    NFilter is only able to work on headers in XOVER or that the newserver
    will supply on request. The newserver at my own ISP (Sonic.net) won't
    supply either Path or Organization, thus making NFilter valueless
    against this particular troll. I'm now looking into other options.

    John Navas, Feb 21, 2004
  15. John Navas

    Steve Young Guest

    John, these are very good findings you and others are making here.
    It would be nice to see a composite of what we learn about a few of the most
    popular or even the best suited readers/solutions, before we're all done with
    it. As many have said, filters are an important tool in a users bag of tricks.
    The tom-foolery going on here sure has given us a fertile test environment

    Thanks to you and the others for the effort, working our problem

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Feb 21, 2004
  16. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    In <hzMZb.26907$> on Sat, 21 Feb
    I'm continuing to investigate possible solutions. Unfortunately, I've now
    found that the newserver at my own ISP (Sonic.net) won't return Path or
    Organization headers without downloading the entire article. I suspect this
    is common, which severely complicates use of a proxy to block messages
    entirely (both from a functional and from a performance standpoint).
    You're welcome.

    John Navas, Feb 21, 2004